Anyone ever hear of this

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
That's been on the news lately, doesn't seem to be an issue with the PSD's tho :rotflmao

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Yes, I have heard of it. Seen heads in the machine shop a time or two, but didn't know it was an epidemic!

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Heard of several of them around here. There is a tool out, that goes into the plug channel, and expands, rethreading the hole, from the inside out. Then a heli-coil is inserted into the head.

2 problems: (1)The tool isn't long enough to reach the problem.
(2)Where do the shavings go, when the tool is removed?

Another 1 of Ferd's better ideas?

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I did a lil reseach on this after my g/f father purchased a 2000 f250 with the v-10 (holy spark nock!) Well it turns out that ford used an aluminum head and the threads wernt strong enough to hold the sparkplug! It didnt throw any plugs, yet, but I have never heard such a racket commin out from under the hood of truck that wasent a diesel! needless to say the guy is a complete retard and didnt have the brass to do anything about it. We took it back to the dealer probably 2 or 3 times, and after there series of "tests" :rolleyes: they can find anything wrong!! the mechanic that went for a test drive looked at him and even told him to baby it back to the shop cause "that just cant be good."

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Yep, the VFD has a 2000 X with the V-10 in it and it's blown 3 or 4 (I forget the exact #) plugs out all at different times running emergent.

Not good to say the least.

sassyrel

Reaction score
lisle tool co makes a kit of sorts that solves the problem--with the heads on--basically a helicoil type setup--and you put a long nozzle affair down in the hole to blow the aluminum shavings out- they say the minute particles left will blow out on startup---what really blew some of them out was the plugs werent quite tight enough-and over a period of hot cool cycles---they got loose--and started to rattle in the threads--which in turn wore the aluminum--which then blew the plug out--have worked on some gassers that some yoyo didnt tighten the plugs enough--and when i went to replace them later--damn near couldnt get them out because of all the crap in the threads--had to run a cleaner thru there to get the junk out--then could screw them in with your fingers--cast iron isnt bothered--but alu sure is---

kblackav8or

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.4's seem to be the most affected. They have since added more threads. One fix was to run the plugs from the high performance Focus engine which had more threads on it. Not a problem after 04 supposedly when they re-designed the heads.