Anyone done a large aux c6 trans cooler?

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
I’m wondering if anyone has installed a aux transmission cooler on a 7.3idi with a c6 and AC. Mines an 88. 2wd.

BlindAmbition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck I bought had a cooler plumbed in. It was plumbed in series with the radiator. First through the radiator and then into the cooler and back to the trans. Not sure if that helps at all. Swapped to a ZF5 so that is all gone.

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First through the radiator and then into the cooler and back to the trans.
That is how I usually would set up coolers when I had a shop...

Two Derale-style coolers in front of the radiator or AC condensor...they needed to be close enough so the fan will pull air through them at low speed and not have anything substancial in front of them so the air won't be blocked at speed.

The hose bends need to be gradual enough not to restrict flow.

I would double-clamp the lines, too...backing up under full load can seriously pressurize the hoses...

Good luck on it...

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
For my IDI bronco I did this for the power steering, you could do something similar for the trans. I’m doing this same style for an aux trans cooler on my IDI derby car.

Jim993

Reaction score
I have had a tube and fin type on my '85 6.9 Banks turbo C6 for about 15 years, in front of the condenser. Mine measures 13" wide by 9" high. Coming across the desert in August through Needles at 108 degrees F outside and up several long grades into Arizona, transmission temperature got as high as the bottom of the yellow, 240. but never into yellow. 1,000 pounds in the bed. Plumbed from the radiator cooler into the auxiliary cooler then back to transmission. If I were to replace it I would go to a flat plate type like the Hayden 689:

Be sure to use 3/8" or 10mm hose, as short as possible but no sharp bends. I run Red Line D4 ATF full synthetic fluid which is more resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.

Around town and freeway in northern Arizona, the C6 hardly goes over 170 degrees F.

Hard to get a picture through the grill-

Attachments

• 1711831130518.jpeg
    1711831130518.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 6

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
For my IDI bronco I did this for the power steering, you could do something similar for the trans. I’m doing this same style for an aux trans cooler on my IDI derby car.
Sweet
I have had a tube and fin type on my '85 6.9 Banks turbo C6 for about 15 years, in front of the condenser. Mine measures 13" wide by 9" high. Coming across the desert in August through Needles at 108 degrees F outside and up several long grades into Arizona, transmission temperature got as high as the bottom of the yellow, 240. but never into yellow. 1,000 pounds in the bed. Plumbed from the radiator cooler into the auxiliary cooler then back to transmission. If I were to replace it I would go to a flat plate type like the Hayden 689:

Be sure to use 3/8" or 10mm hose, as short as possible but no sharp bends. I run Red Line D4 ATF full synthetic fluid which is more resistant to oxidation at high temperatures.

Around town and freeway in northern Arizona, the C6 hardly goes over 170 degrees F.

Hard to get a picture through the grill-
yeah! That’s exactly what I was told about. So I can go from the trans to the rad unit, back out to the aux unit, then back to the trans

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a picture through the grill-
Looks like some insects decided to do a close-up inspection and body-slam test of your cooler....

transmission temperature got as high as the bottom of the yellow, 240. but never into yellow.

I hope @Can't Write doesn't see that...he'll have a conniption...

If I were to replace it I would go to a flat plate type like the Hayden 689:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049EZDZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks pretty good to me...similar to the ones I used...

Lots of good advice...

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
i do not have an extra cooler, but did install a deep, finned aluminum oil pan on the trans, Two extra quarts and the fins help a lot. 15 years in the mountains and no heat problems.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
i do not have an extra cooler, but did install a deep, finned aluminum oil pan on the trans, Two extra quarts and the fins help a lot. 15 years in the mountains and no heat problems.
Did you need an extension or is stock tube length ok with the deep pan? I wanted to order the deep pan with the temp port and wasn’t sure if I really needed to do the mod for the longer intake filter thingy.

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score
A diesel tech was saying it is good to run a cooling unit with a fan for hot summer traffic that slows you down enough to need some artificial wind.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
That's the biggest one I could fit on the 85 E350 RV vs factory stock. Hayden 779

I also put a B&M deep pan for the temp probe bung it has. Even with the big cooler and deep pan, the rebuilt transmission got pretty warm in the mountains.

The 89 E350 with E4OD i have now, someone repurposed the AC condenser in front of the radiator as the transmission cooler. I still need to install the transmission temperature gauge sender in the E4OD's test port so I can monitor it's temperature. But the EGT is much lower than the RV's C6 due to being much smaller (height, width & length) and lighter.

Last edited:

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score

6.0 trans cooler,

Didn’t even need the trans temp gauge after. Couldn’t get it over 200F

Wrenchmonkey316

Reaction score

6.0 trans cooler,

Didn’t even need the trans temp gauge after. Couldn’t get it over 200F
Nice!! Like 6.0 powerstroke trans cooler? Is it similar to the one that we were talking about in the link that was posted? Does it have a fan? I had a 6.0 and the transmission was 100% bulletproof I know this from experience working the hell out of it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7