anybody remember drip gas

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
or am I just showing my age? When I was a young man I would get a 55 gal drum of drip gas from a pipe line inspector when ever he would fill one. For those that don't know what I'm talking about. natural gas pipe lines have loops in them every little ways and drip gas is what condenses at those loops. It would not run in a gas engine that had more than 4.5 to 1 compression, I used to run it in my 41 allis chalmers B model and it ran great. Tried it in 68 ford 289 and I thought it was going to loose its mined, clatter and smoke and raise all kinds of hell. But as I remember it looked and felt a lot like todays diesel. I wounder if it could be blended with wmo? Or maybe just add a couple of gal wmo to a tank of the stuff. Just thinking out loud. Any one else thinkin' now?

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing you bring this up. I heard there was a old timer up my way that was using this to run his old chevy diesel. I have not ran into him yet but I have been trying to hunt him down to find this same info you are after. Couple of the oil rig guys around here says it possible but not doing it. But they have new diesel trucks too so if I find this guy i will let you know.

TBAR

Reaction score
Was it also called well head distillate?

Tbar

DragRag

Reaction score
do you have to go back and drain them or do their maintainance people do that?

Rarely is there anything in them. After an install do we rarely go back anyway. I have never found anything significant in one when I pull a furnace out, maybe a very tiny amount at the most. I think most of the oil is gone by the time it reaches the end user.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rarely is there anything in them. After an install do we rarely go back anyway. I have never found anything significant in one when I pull a furnace out, maybe a very tiny amount at the most. I think most of the oil is gone by the time it reaches the end user.

I was just curious, thanks.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dad worked in the oil patch for 28 years here in NE Oklahoma. There were plenty of pumpers that would run that crap in their trucks. Horrific smell and makes a gas engine sound like a diesel that is about ready to explode man. I never thought about running it in a diesel. I am going to find out. Might be a good idea. Wouldn't it depend on the viscosity and the flash point. Diesel has a lower flash point than gas. I am pretty sure, "drip" has a very high flash rate, hence why they don't want it to get to the end users home. LOL So the negative would be cratering a diesel engine right?

IDK, I can call some friends and check.

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online