any good ideas to clean brake pads

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I had a transmission line blow out and cover everything in transmission fluid including the front passenger wheel. That brake doesn't seem to be working too well now obviously. In looking around how to clean it up alot of people have been saying to just throw the pads away. Crappy thing is they're brand new high performance pads.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3072A0A0.aspx

Think these is any hope for them?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If ya haven't driven it any or much, heat them slightly with a propane torch, then wash them with Brake Kleen.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done this trick on big truck brake shoes for bad wheel seal. Wouldn't endorse it muck for brake pads.

Give them a shot of either and light it. The heat will help draw out the oils.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New ones!!!
Angel gear( neutral downhill) and bad brakes both suck!
Whats yer life worth?!
Or granny in the crosswalk!
Fwiw

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Soak them in Lacquer thinner for a while and let dry. That will get most of the oil out.

idioiler

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of semimetallic brake pads at Advance for $18. Lifetime warranty and they work great!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once they get soaked with oil they are dun.bite the bullet and replace em.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking from an experience that I finally resolved yesterday, REPLACE THEM!! No amount of money is worth it not being able to stop.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well damn, guess I'll replace them, I'm wondering if i can somehow find the pads individually or in groups of two instead of four. I guess first I'm going to replace all the tranny cooler lines with high temp high strength lines. What started it all was one of the wires on the TPS decided to rub through on something which caused the TC lockup to drop out. I didn't have time to stop and try to fix it and was on the interstate. After a couple minutes of it running without lockup it heated up and blew the line out. I'm hoping no damage was actually done to the tranny in the process.

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but heat is the ultimate enemy to a tranny. Here's a pic of my old tc for your viewing pleasure. Not sure if heat caused this but a couple months before this happened, tranny got hot and before I could pull over to let it cool, it hit 240 degrees. Also, once any metal is in your system at all, your tranny is done.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Well that would be my luck probably. Afterward on the way home I could hear a slight whine that didn't used to be there. It was very faint and you could only hear it every once in a while. Do you suppose it would just the TC that would have been damaged? My thoughts are that eventually if it turns out the thing is trashed I really want to get a BTS tranny. Of course i'll have to figure out how to secretly pay for it as the wife thinks I already spend too much on it. :O

Very irritating too that one little wire can do so much damage!

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are hearing a whining noise, you should pull your pan and check for metal. Tell your wife a new tranny will be cheaper than a divorce. :rotflmao

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO and I will say I"m kinda stickler on this...

To clean NEW brake pads soaked in oil, is to REPLACE them.

JM2CW

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can clean them with the process above, drive the truck to see if the brakes are fading or not. Go out and do some hard stops to verify operation. I think immediately trashing a set of brand newish yellow stuff pads is bad practice. I know and see some major disagreements with this opinion, but I mean if they work, they work, if they dont, they dont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online