Any 4bt's out there?

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where in the world can a guy even find one? I am curiously contemplating putting a 4bt in my '66 slick. It is a 2wd shortwide. Would that be a good marriage? I would obviously trash the 3 on the tree, I would prefer to stay with a manual transmission. It would obviously need power steering. I am not sure that the front end would hold up since it is a 2wd. So could someone steer me in the right direction?

Where would be a good place to find a 4bt? I can't find one on CL. I can't find one on car-part.com. What in the world? If they are so damn popular why hasn't anyone figured out how to mass produce them!?!?!? LMAO!

John

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bread trucks... Co-Part... Happy hunting..

Typically you can find a 6bt for less.

Anotehr thought would be the Isuzu 4bd-1.. YOU DON"T WANT THE 4-bd2.. it is IDI.. which lomits its power output..

The Suzie 4-bd is a smoother quieter overall better coice than the Cunmstain. and damn near a clone.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I need to research that then. Since it is not an IDI, I assume I would need to get the computer from the donor vehicle. Is that correct?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no sir.. the 6bt stayed mechanical through 98, and I believe the 4bt did as well.

Mechanical = 1 wire runner, similar to yer 93 IDI.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Lot of equipment came with a 4bt, then of course bread trucks, FedEx, some ups but they also come with a 5 cyl MB. If You get one from a ford bread truck You will provably get a t-18 tranny and You might be able to bolt the zf-5 to it, not sure.

I got one on a 87 GMC with a 4spd, anyone have a working GMC nv4500? :D

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no sir.. the 6bt stayed mechanical through 98, and I believe the 4bt did as well.

Mechanical = 1 wire runner, similar to yer 93 IDI.

I was referring to the isuzu engine you were describing. Those engines would come in the little white flat nose trucks right? I tried researching the isuzu applications, but to no avail. I will just have to keep asking questions.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4btswap.com good stuff there.

post 90 they became IDI... ya want an early 91 or older, seemingly they are mechanical injected as well.

Ggg

Reaction score
Look into Dovebid, they auction off a lot of P30 style step vans with diesel engines. But before buying an engine figure out what drivetrain you will have. This may make a difference in what engine to trans adapters you want to look for. I have a 4bt in a Jeep TJ, my engine came from a van bought on Dovebid.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I was wondering if I could bolt one up to a ZF5 out of a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton. I am wanting all of this in my 66 F100 short wide.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Be careful of what you find, I had one a year or so ago that was from a big air compressor. It had a Lucas CAV pump, which isnt a great pump to be using. You can get those B series to adapt to dern near anything.... Small Ford, GM, Dodge, and SAE #2 or 3. Opens up a slew of trans choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online