antique repower opinions: 6.6 Ford?

mndorf

Reaction score
I just acquired a 1934 White beauty, about 25k GVWR. Retrofitted Continental is missing parts and none of the driveline is original White so I'm dreaming. There's 48" from rad to cowl.

Greatest dream would be to have it highway roadable. Just for local shows. As long as I'm dreaming, how about towing a trailer to haul another antique? GCVW about 40 k lbs.

I'm looking at a gas or Diesel engine, with an OD trans. Later I'd be getting a rear axle around 6:1 for a little better speed. Ideally I'd get an antique axle so I don't want to pour a lot of torque through it.

There's a 6.6 Ford Diesel with a 6sd from a bus available nearby. Any opinions on the 6.6? How much money would this go for?

Thanks, this is a great forum,

Bruce

mndorf

Reaction score
Ford 6.6 and the 6 speed transmission have a good reputation, people tell me. This engine has an intercooler, which will not be able to go ahead of the radiator since the truck is a 1934 with an exposed radiator.

Any thoughts if I delete the intercooler? HP loss, or any way to mitigate the loss? I'm also wondering what components, especially electrical, will need to go with the engine?

Components like tachometer, fuel system control, fuse box.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a ford 6.6 with allison at545 for sale actually......

They don't have an intercoolers.

I'd honestly sell the engine for 500 bucks.

They are all mechanical so no computers to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online