Do I modify my F700 (1991,6.6L,AT565,air,tilt) a bunch or roll the dice again?

teletech

Reaction score
So, I'm working on a medium-duty RV project. The final result should weigh under 17000Lbs and very rarely I'd like the option to tow another 20K.
I picked up a 1991 F700, with about half of the features I wanted (air brakes, tilt nose,diesel) because it was really clean, and had 41K original miles on it, oh and it was stupidly-cheap.
Unfortunately, the already anemic 6.6 is further emasculated by the 3-speed non-lockup gearbox the wheelbase is a bit long for my taste/needs, and the spring rate is really high for my gross weight.

So, the truck in hand was a 16' flatbed that got 10MPG empty and would cruise at 62 on the flat.
On hills, I was right in the middle of the pack climbing with the heavy trucks
With a smaller box on the back (12'x7'x8', 1200lbs) I lost a little speed and mileage, but not much.
With the final box (14'x8'x8.5', 4000lbs) my cruise was down to 57 and my mileage had dropped noticeably (math pending)
On hills I was not dead-last, but was in the bottom 1/4 for sure.

It's a good old truck, county owned low miles and in a few thousand miles it's given not a moment of concern about it's mechanical condition being anything but excellent, that's worth something in an old used truck.
I know I can wake the truck up a lot with fuel since it's just the 170hp tuning now, and the all-steel stakebed under the box is *heavy*, so lowering the box and dropping all that weight should help a lot, but it's still loud, slow, and a bit inefficient.

So, to get from where I am to where I want to be I have three roads:
1) sell this truck (at a profit I expect) and put the money towards something else.
It's hard to find the combo I want, air is a must-have and I really like the 1994 and earlier styling.
I see a lot of trucks that have 1/2 to 2/3 of what I want but without spending a lot of money and travelling finding it all seems unlikely, then you have to factor in cost and condition.
2) strip the bed off and slowly modify while looking for the "right" truck.
Having paid under $2k, if I get something for that bed the truck wouldn't owe me much of anything... if I found another almost-right truck it would be worth keeping around for parts or as a donor (tilt-nose, etc.)3) do the work: replace the transmission, relocate the rear axle, and re-spring the truck.
In a perfect world, I'd be interested in going air-ride on the back so finding a much newer donor-truck is interesting.

I'm beyond usually handy: I've rebuilt a few engines and one car as a every nut and bolt custom job but I have many projects.

What say you?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if I were you, I'd find something more "driver friendly" I too have a F700 in my fleet. It's a pure unadulterated vocational truck. I really doubt the family will ever get in the damn thing for a long distance trip. This thing is sooo miserable, it was built in 1986 and came from Ford without needing SHOCKS. yes, it's that miserable. the dealer did put in AC, but the truck operates out on the kali coast. the crew can't wait for it to rust to death. yea. good luck with that. you'll need to drive it into the ocean for that to happen.
Sell it, put it as a down for something with air suspension, air ride cab, "maybe" air seats and AC. you'll be money ahead and your family won't hate going on long trips with you.

teletech

Reaction score
Well, at least I have shocks. :)
I've been in several of the 26' U-Haul trucks like this that didn't seem too bad...
Still, point taken. Of course, I *was* considering a military surplus deuce-and-a-half when I bought this. Right now I'm not sure which has a worse ride.

I don't see myself getting a truck newer than about 1994 though, I just don't relate all that well to the newer vehicles.

I was using my 6.9IDI 1986 E-350 for runs, but it's just too tired and small these days.

teletech

Reaction score
Oh, I kept it. I looked at a lot of trucks and none was exactly right, so I figured I'd try building the right truck and mine wasn't a bad place to start. The box I put on the back was so heavy, the spring suspension hasn't been too awful, so I think I'll change the transmission first and see how that affects my speed and mileage, then it's the rear axle and suspension.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larrymac

Staff online