antifreeze problem

SD70Ace

Big yellow Diesels
Reaction score
Since my truck is sitting dead out in the yard and the temp is gonna be getting around 30 degrees or less. If I pull the lower raditor hose, will that remove most of the water from block? The truck contains alot of water right now. I cant run the truck due to glow plug tips in cyclinders to get more antifreeze in the block. Will the block heater help any till I can get the water drained? Thanks for any help.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Might want to drain the oil cooler too. It's the lowest point of the cooling system. Post radiator. Drain is on the rear header. 1/4" pipe plug.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not run it, that's for sure. Drain it as best you can, and fill it with that Pink RV antifreeze. Use the heater core hose as a vent to get all the air out. This will mix with whatever water is in there, and give you the protection you need. This is the same thing I do to my boat engine every fall. When you are ready to take it apart, you can just drain that stuff out on the ground. It's biodegradeable.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Since my truck is sitting dead out in the yard and the temp is gonna be getting around 30 degrees or less. If I pull the lower raditor hose, will that remove most of the water from block? The truck contains alot of water right now. I cant run the truck due to glow plug tips in cyclinders to get more antifreeze in the block. Will the block heater help any till I can get the water drained? Thanks for any help.

I just installed an new aluminum radiator in my truck and I would be willing to bet there is at least 1 gallon or more of liquid that stays in the block if you don't drain the block itself.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be too sure even with it drained, that it won't have some in it anyway. One year I drained my 302 in my boat, but forgot to pour in the pink stuff. I had 2 freeze plugs laying in the bottom of my hull come spring, and I thought for sure it was gonna be toast! That pink stuff will mix with the water, and that's what will save you.