Antarctic IDI Build

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the project asmith build thread I thought I would share this project I am currently working on for @theSHERPA
This lucky man is the proud owner of a 1991 F350 ambulance with a dana 60 front and a srw converted dually 10.25 rear. I believe it sits on a 5 inch lift and 40s, the truck was stationed in Antarctica and custom ordered by the military just the way it sits now, and only has 20k miles. The end goal is to make this truck into a camper for his family that can tow his rockcrawler broncos on adventures.

Right now we are focused on making it more driveable, the brakes are weak and na is not cutting it for how heavy it is. It also has a cold start issues that I have already remedied. First stage of work is going to install @no mufflers old banks sidewinder kit and convert to hydroboost brakes as well as install a headlight relay kit.
here's some pictures:
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Cold start issue was a combination of corroded connections, a melted glowplug relay/controller and air intrusion. All was remedied by a spare controller, a fuel bowl I had in the shop and some fresh fuel lines, truck starts on a dime now.

This next week I am going to diving into the charging issues (thinking the harness is to blame and not the alt) as well as knock out the hydroboost conversion.
This should work much better as far as updating progress instead of sending pictures through my craptastic phone, thanks for checking it out!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Be hard pressed to find the right wheels to make that a dually again, and run the same tire.
I guess you could make some spacers........ ha

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be hard pressed to find the right wheels to make that a dually again, and run the same tire.
I guess you could make some spacers........ ha

Ya I guess that's a good point... I suppose if it was my truck I would just be eyeballing CL for a dually getting parted out and take the wheels.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Still need spacers for that wide of tire though.
Look like hmmwv tires to me. Which are typically 12.5 wide. Have a pretty good load rating too.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I guess that's a good point... I suppose if it was my truck I would just be eyeballing CL for a dually getting parted out and take the wheels.

Hell I'd almost consider swapping my dually wheels/tires for those ones lol

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True again.... They are pretty sweet lol. They're pretty close to HMMWV tires but I don't think they are

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True again.... They are pretty sweet lol. They're pretty close to HMMWV tires but I don't think they are

Yeah the tread pattern looks different.

@Thewespaul are they 16s or 16.5. Inquiring minds want to know hahaha

Probably not HMMWV tires, they're 37x12.50x16.5 and he said 40s

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the tread pattern looks different.

@Thewespaul are they 16s or 16.5. Inquiring minds want to know hahaha
Ya the hums treads are more symettrical (no idea if I spelled that right) if I'm remembering correctly. On that note... I wonder if a set of wheels off a baby MRAP (utility MRAP) would work. They're tires and wheels actually aren't as big as you would think... Probably around 40ish....

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya the hums treads are more symettrical (no idea if I spelled that right) if I'm remembering correctly. On that note... I wonder if a set of wheels off a baby MRAP (utility MRAP) would work. They're tires and wheels actually aren't as big as you would think... Probably around 40ish....

Assuming you could find the bolt pattern... Or am adapter...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01