Another white smoke thread

Slow

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, Hi, Howdy, How ya'll doin. I just purchased a 1988 F250 7.3IDI with an alleged 68K on the clock. It was not running when I bought, finally got it running but I have a white smoke issue. The truck has been sitting for a while with the occasional (yearly) trip to the dump, it has had no fuel put into it for approximately 5 to 6 years. To get it started I dropped both fuel tanks and emptied out the old fuel, fixed both pickup tubes and the rear gauge rheostat, replaced the fuel filter, replaced all the battery clamps(all four were cracked), replaced the starter with a gear reduction unit, replaced glow plugs with motorcraft units. Fuel was reddish brown out of both tanks. I have never seen diesel turn brown or smell like old turpentine/mineral spirits. I did fill the filter with atf to get it started but I don't think the fuel would turn brown from so little atf. after sitting it was hard to start so replaced the lift pump, changed out the new fuel filter to a motorcraft filter replaced the fuel return system with the advanced kit from Conestoga Diesel. I still have white smoke and it is still hard to start after sitting overnight but not as hard as before. It idles fine with no missing but misses when the rpms are increased. It smokes at idle and when driven, more smoking when accelerating and when letting off to coast. I looking for suggestions/ideas before I invest in a new IP or injectors.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That red is more than likely off road diesel. Not something you want to run really, but how much have you ran it since dropping the tanks and how much new fuel did you put in it? Just something that might help give advice. Coolant levels staying the same in it as well?

Slow

Reaction score
It's kinda dark for off road, more brown than red and seems to be more viscous than any diesel or fuel oil I've encountered. I've ran it about 80 miles since dropping the tanks. filled up the front tank and put 10 gallons in the rear tank, I've been running off the front tank but ran off the rear tank for about 10 miles with no change. As far as I can tell coolant level is staying the same but I did change the tstat to a motorcraft unit because the aftermarket one that it had when I bought it wasn't letting it get up to temp.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. So to be clear. Is the new fuel thick and reddish brown or just the old fuel that color. Sounds like it might have some alge growing in it or someone added some waste type oil. Maybe waste fry oil because these engines burn any kind of waste oils be it engine, hydraulic or like french fry oil at mcdonalds. Purchasing from Conestoga is the second best thing you have done after buying the idi truck...:thumbsup::thumbsup::sly

Slow

Reaction score
The reddish brown stuff is the old fuel, fifteen gallons total. The fuel out of both tanks looked the same. The new stuff is D2 fresh out of the pump, however fresh that is. If it helps I did not find any water in the tanks or in the fuel filter.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did you find water in the radiator? lol
is this white smoke after the truck is warmed up?
I would break out a coolant pressure tester and see if it holds.
the last time I had plumes of white smoke, I had cracked heads.
not saying this is your issue, but something that needs to be checked.

heres a vid of the truck with water in the cylinders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNZwzbdG4iI

Slow

Reaction score
Yes it had coolant in the rad but none in the overflow. However the lady that owned it did not maintain it very well so that can be looked at either way. When I fist got it started the white smoke was all the time. After a few drives ,aproximitly 60 miles it still smokes when compared of but it is a light haze. After it warms up the smoke increases. My coolant pressure tester is at work so I'll have wait tonight or tomorrow to test it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say you had an algae problem that may come back if you didn't kill it all. No expert here but this would be my way of attacking it.

It may have your injectors fouled up so that they are dribbling causing the smoke. You could try the ATF trick where you fill the filter, start the truck and when it changes pitch, shut it off and let it soak over night. Then run it like you stole it. May have to pull the sticks and clean them.

The other thing I would do is pick up a couple spare filters. If it was algae you may continue to get crap for a while and really you probably need to put something it the tanks to kill it because it has probably coated everything and you will continue to have problems until you get rid of it.

So kill and clean everything lines and all, then clean up pump and injectors.

That's what I'd do.

Slow

Reaction score
I pressure tested the cooling system. Had a 1/2 psi drop for 30 minutes and found two minor leaks. Overall I'd say no coolant is leaking into the engine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found a tight coolant system. Still a good idea to kill off any possible algae bacteria. If there is no algae growing thew kill wont hurt anything. If you still have white smoke haze I feel its the injectors hanging open. Please read the Hall of Shame before purchasing any ebay injectors or auto parts store type injectors.

Slow

Reaction score
The white smoke is getting better. I'm going run some weed killer and go from there. What are some recommendations for killer and how long to change filters? This one of those times I wish I had the time and funds. I would install pressure gauges on the inlet and out of the filter so I could monitor the delta p of the filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828