another problem... starter. Please help!

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my starter just went... last year when i changed the head gaskest i was lookin at the starter and there is a bolt that hidden. real hard to get at. any ideas on how to get it.

cant wait to spend the 300 bcucks ona remanufactured starter...:mad: every 2 days its soemthin new with this truck.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one top bolt is a little tough. But the proper length extension with a 3/8 ratchet usually gets it for me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not that bad, just have to work by feel. Use a long extension to get the socket handle out to where you can swing it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... There is plenty of room behind the starter for a 3/8 drive socket setup. The hex is 1/2 inch on the bolt. The extension and socket length needs to be just a small amount longer than the starter. Be sure to disconnect both batteries or there will be sparks. You have enough amps to melt a wrench down there. Remove the top bolt first. Going back together you need to tape the bolt to the socket and the socket to the extension. Just use enough tape to hold the bolt in the socket so when its tight you can pull it loose. The lower bolts are easy. I think the battery lead is either 5/8 or 11/16 and the small black trigger wire lead is 5/16. Hope this helps. I find it easyest to remove the battery cable from the starter before I drop it down... Easier to move it around in a very tight space.

RedHotNRollin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it helps. ;Sweet im just waitin for the wxhaust to cool befor i go change it. at my local advancde it was only 140, trhough LMC truck its 300. thanks for the help, doesnt seem like its gonna be that bad.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
not the easies but not impossible, 1/2" bolt remove it with a 1/2" socket and a 8" 3/8" drive extension and a small ratchet You just have to find the right angle and some patience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online