another old truck advantage

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another post, my truck would keep rolling when I put it in park.
Today, I took it to a transmission shop and after a few hours, they called to tell me that they can fix the parking pawl but some big snap ring somewhere back there had broke and the transmission really should be tore down and repaired properly. I'm not very transmission literate, so thats about all I can explain about it.
The really good news was, when I asked how much to remove the trans and rebuild it, he said $650.00. I couldnt believe how cheap the price! I also trust this shop, they have been in business here for many many years and have an excellent record.

I have a friend that owns a new Duramax and he's always giving me crap for owning an old truck, especially a Ford. He was just telling me the other day that I should just go out and buy a new truck and do away with the problems that I have with mine.
Today was just a reminder of why I enjoy driving an old truck. How much would a rebuild cost on my buddies Allison, 3,000-5,000? What about injectors, where could you get a complete set of injectors for $160 bucks for a new truck? You couldnt!
So all in all with the little problems, I'll stick with my ratty old smelly truck!;Sweet

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
i agree, and these engines tolerate more, you put anything other than #2 diesel in a modern truck, your putting in a whole fuel system no questions asked

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
C6 is an easy rebuild. Thats why they are so cheap.

You really can rub it in when your buddy's Allison fries.:D 3k is the low side.:eek:

sassyrel

Reaction score
C6 is an easy rebuild. Thats why they are so cheap.

You really can rub it in when your buddy's Allison fries.:D 3k is the low side.:eek:

wayyyy low--try about 5,400-----and people think e40d's are pricey--

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
not that high. stock rebuilds around here for allys are 2500-3000. stage 5 rebuilds are 4500-5500.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, if a C6 is that cheap to rebuild, I'm tossing my in-need-of-a-rebuild ZF5 in favor of a built one. The parts alone are $450 for this POS, and I don't have the tools to complete it, so I'm paying labor on top of that.

Ok, rant off, I'm not junking the ZF5, but damn, that's a good deal for a full rebuild.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I was going to post the usual cost of a C6 rebuild is around $650.00 but... You found this out. These are very good strong trans. They take a kicking and come back for more time after time. Glad its all getting done for a fair price..... And just think... You will have a new trans with a warranty for way less than a grand.... Time to rub it in a duramax face. Gees.... $650.00 would be one months new truck payment. Lay that one on him too....:sly:D

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to post the usual cost of a C6 rebuild is around $650.00 but... You found this out. These are very good strong trans. They take a kicking and come back for more time after time. Glad its all getting done for a fair price..... And just think... You will have a new trans with a warranty for way less than a grand.... Time to rub it in a duramax face. Gees.... $650.00 would be one months new truck payment. Lay that one on him too....:sly:D

I had at one time toyed around with buying a newer power stroke but after hanging around this site, I've decided if I ever upgrade, it wont be anything newer than a 93.

1994IDI

Reaction score
I had at one time toyed around with buying a newer power stroke but after hanging around this site, I've decided if I ever upgrade, it wont be anything newer than a 93.

Whoa whoa whoa, don't cut us '94 guys out of the picture! We're still part of the club. It's those 94.5's that are dangerous.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa, don't cut us '94 guys out of the picture! We're still part of the club. It's those 94.5's that are dangerous.

Sorry! I stopped at 93, because In all my local used truck searching, I've yet to see a 94 IDI for sale.

japar

Reaction score
I have 2 94 F350 idi Turbos 1 is a CC dually 5 speed the other is a 4wd auto, just great trucks to have and work on. If the day comes when I have to spend a little money on them no problem they are worth it. So far its been small stuff , belts, tires and a brake line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony

Members online