Another Knocking Sound Thread

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I retarded the IP 1/8" and the motor is running a little quieter but still knocking. I can only hear the knock at idle and just above idle. At higher engine speeds there is no knock. I also bought a stethoscope and can hear the knocking through the valve cover but not though the oil pan. I hear it on every injector line, possibly louder on the four driver's side lines, which is the same side that I can hear it through the valve cover.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A oil sample will let you know if anything is headed south long before you get there but the noise you already own. My diesel has driven me cazy as well with noises in the past

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many miles on long-block? Early speedo's roll over 5 didgit odo.
Or does the ip and inj. Have grey paint on them?

WarNose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor has 285,000 miles on it. Digital odometer, so no roll over to worry about. The IP has 85,000 miles on it. The truck came with a lot of receipts for work that had been done to it. The injectors are brand new/rebuilt.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its had a hard life ( long oil ch intervals, short trips) it could be bearings(oil analysis time) could be a bad inj.,call blackstone first.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A simple test for the injectors would be to swap cylinders and see if the noise follows. Justin did have some issues with injectors recently and he'll take care of you if thats the case. He very well may just send you a new set with a phone call.

Did you make sure the old copper crush washers came out with the old injectors? Were the injector bores clean? Torqued to spec?

Does the rattle get louder under load or does it stay the same? Typically, bearing or wrist pin rattle will become more pronounced under load.