another IDI gone

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Just got a call from dad. the 88 truck we sold caught fire and burned to the ground.
dont know why.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because Ford really knows how to wire up a truck. Hope mine doesn't burn; the Ranger I had often had a rubber burning smell, never burned down...don't know what it was, at some point it didn't run.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Ignition switch possibly? I damn near lost mine due to that. I was under the hood when mine decided to do it's thing. My truck had been sitting for a couple of weeks, went out to work on the fuel filter conversion I believe - totally under the hood, didn't start it before working under the hood. Just opened the d-side door, opened the hood, and went to work. At one point I looked up and through the brand new windshield I had just had installed and thought, may, that looks like smoke - it didn't only look like smoke, it WAS smoke. I got the batteries unhooked pronto and nothing else happened, well other than I had to change out the switch and vent the cab as it wreaked of burnt wiring. I also unloaded much of the switch to hopefully keep it from happening. Funny how it sat all that time and decided to do it when I was standing there though, otherwise, I could have been an hour away at work and just come home to the pile of ash!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that sucks, i have had a couple of vehicles catch fire, it was more gas related though. i carry an extinguisher in my vehicles now and a have used them a couple of times to save other peoples junk.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
yep it was the sanford truck.
I just dont think it liked the new owner.
we drove it for over a year with the only issue bieng the starter.
the new owner had it 2 days and started having problems, most of them being the fact he insisted on running it out of fuel.