Another Gas to diesel swap

KennyC

Reaction score
I am new to this, but I have lot of diesel/mechanical experiance. Mostly Marine propulsion and electrical generator. Plus I was an auto mechanic for a few years. I found a 92 F250 with 7.3L I guess it's an IDI in the local U-Pull-it yard. The engine is $250 with a 30 day warantee. Mechanically the truck is complete. I have a 93 F150 with a 5.8L gasser and E4OD in it. The tranny on the doner is only $75 more. I want to pull the doner drive train including the driveshaft and the tanks, fuel lines, wiring harness., exhaust, etc. Should I pull the motor mounts? And what is the engine weight difference? Should I pull the front coil springs? This yard is cheap and I might be able to get it all for around $500-$600 and a couple of days hard work. This gasser is eating my lunch in MPG and I want to start my own biodiesel processing. But I need a diesel first. I have done the search here and I'll read it some more but these vehicles are so close in years I was hoping for some shortcuts. And avoiding a lot of trial and error.
Kenny

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you do go through with this, you might need to beef up your frame, and definatly beef up the suspension. I think that an IDI with all fluids will weigh 1000+ pounds, were as that 5.8 would be like 600 maybe a little more. Plus the tranny will weigh more than the one you have. It will be a huge project. Actually, I would say that if the frame of the donar truck was good, and the only bad thing about it was a bad body or something, then you could just swap the body off of your truck onto it. Just a thought.

7.3shrk

Save the headache - if it has a good frame, do a body swap if needed. The axles and frame will still be 1/2 ton.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
a duce and a half for the eng?????? if the chassis is available and the dash cluster intact, have a look at the mileage.
Also at that price, I would be wary of cavitation issues....the 7.3 IDI's are very prone to this.

click here

Like they say....you would be better off swapping body part on to a 3/4 ton frame.

You also need the dash/inst cluster.

Look up any post from Agnem- he is our resident IDI/Ford guru and gas to diesel swap miester ;Sweet

Sounds like you have the skills ;Sweet Best of luck!

Kenny, where in Fla do you work....I have marine diesel/gen exp in Fla as well :cheers:

Last edited:

KennyC

Reaction score
I live in Oak Hill just south of Daytona. I was a Merchant Marine Engineering Officer on a small Navy research vessel until I blew my back out 14 years ago. I now work at the Kennedy Space Center monitoring Power and Utility systems at a computer console. I was thinking about this project last night as I was trying to sleep and I wondered about the dash cluster and just the scope of the job. It'll take a while since this'll be the first time and I know I'll be hunting down glitches and with my back it'll take a while to get everything right. I have my son and friends to help with the heavy work but I don't think it's worth the hassle. I hate to give up the truck I have it is as near to perfect as a 15 year old truck can be except it's gas. I'll keep looking for a diesel truck to buy instead. Thanks for the info. I'll be lurking here and learning.
Kenny

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenny,
If you like your gasser truck, don't let these other guys disuade you. You would treat it just like a Bronco as far as the conversion is concerned, and if you find my threads on the Moosestang you will find all the info your looking for on the work needed to do the swap. It's not hard, won't take that long, and works great.

Parts list from donor factory diesel F-250/350:
Complete IDI and transmission with correct tailshaft for your application.
Front Coil Springs off 2WD donor truck
Motor mounts, and mount plates
Radiator and core support (or whole front clip if you want)
Exhaust system (or not if your going to make your own)
Instrument cluster (optional, but worthwhile for completeness sake)

Other parts needed:
Holley Red fuel pump to replace factory electric pump.

That's the bare minimum. You'll decide to add/delete change things as you go, and the wiring is simple once you find the right wires.

KennyC

Reaction score
Well, I am happiest working on anything electrical or mechanical and I really love a challenge. Thanks Agnem, you twisted my arm! But don't complain because I will be asking a LOT of questions here soon.
Kenny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle