Another freeze plug!!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if your plan is to limp it along till summer you might try installing a rubber expandable plug in this bad area. That with a 7 lb cap may get you the time you need. Sorry I can't tell you the size plug needed because of the set in the freeze plug hole in the block. I do have a spare block that I removed a freeze plug from. I will attempt to get a measurement in a few hours. but no matter what.. I will post back with dimensions or no dimensions.

beckty85

Reaction score
So if your plan is to limp it along till summer you might try installing a rubber expandable plug in this bad area. That with a 7 lb cap may get you the time you need. Sorry I can't tell you the size plug needed because of the set in the freeze plug hole in the block. I do have a spare block that I removed a freeze plug from. I will attempt to get a measurement in a few hours. but no matter what.. I will post back with dimensions or no dimensions.

Thanks

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not rusted .just blown out. Previous owner lost water pump. Took it all apart in a super sloped driveway and never drained the block. Let it sit for 2 years that way and it popped one In the bell housing.
Ok that explains it. I thought it rusted. My mistake. If I remember right, the diameter of the rubber plug should be 1 1/2".

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why they rusting out...they are stainless.

Pull engine...buy set of 7 replace all.....use correct tool for install.

JM7.3CW Eh!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Only the area the plug rests in will be 1 1/2 inch diameter. The lip it has to set on is not this size. I have not looked at my spare block yet but will..

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you are not working the truck hard, you can run it without a radiator cap at all. I drove one for 6 months without a cap. No towing, just highway and city driving. The cooling systems are very robust and without any demand, the engines run pretty cool. Just keep an eye on the coolant level.

beckty85

Reaction score
If you are not working the truck hard, you can run it without a radiator cap at all. I drove one for 6 months without a cap. No towing, just highway and city driving. The cooling systems are very robust and without any demand, the engines run pretty cool. Just keep an eye on the coolant level.
I noticed that when I was trying to flush the system 2 weeks ago, it took a lot to get the thermostat to open. And that was without the fan installed.

Jonathan nickels

Reaction score
This all started with this thread https://www.oilburners.net/threads/

Truck is back together completely and I have just been working out little bugs here and there.

They new water pump is leaking out the weephole. It sat for about 2 years and I ran it dry for about 30 seconds. That's not the big problem. This all started with a freeze plug behind the flex plate so the tranny had to come off.

Now the freeze plug on the pass side partly behind the motor mount is leaking. (Backstory- previous owner lost water pump, let truck sit for 2ish years without draining the block.

Considering these options right now

1. Drill and tap in place for a boss 429 style threaded plug.

I'll have to measure the distance tonight, but I think it's doable. The tap is 4in long.

2. Clean it up really good and belzona the plug (think jb weld, major industrial. 1500 a box stuff. But I have some.)

3. Pull motor.....

4. I've heard of people removing the motor mounts and jacking the motor up. I have the install tool. Just not sure I can get the clearance to properly install it.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Jonathan nickels

Reaction score
I’m new to this site and don’t know if I’m even responding right but if I am how did you go about locating to tool. I for the life of me ,cannot get my hands on one

Jonathan nickels

Reaction score
And does it work correctly? I am literally about to sell my truck because I can’t find it and I don’t want to go to shop do a half a$$ed job and then have to replace an engine

beckty85

Reaction score
Did you go through the pages in this thread? I think the prints are here

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online