Amsoil Synthetic fluid

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I am looking for a opinion on Amsoil synthetic fluid for use in a transfer case application. My Ford dealer says not in my 2005 Sportrac Thanks.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I will stay back as it would be percieved that I might be biased on this one. Come on guys help him out. Who is using it and why? Who isn't and why?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Wow - missed this one...

Why did your dealer say not to use AMSOIL? It's a proved good brand of fluid. As long as it's rated at or above what the specs for the fluid call for then it's good to go. I actually prefer AMSOIL brand fluids and it's what I use in my vehicles.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Ford dealer says not in my 2005 Sportrac Thanks.

Yeah, let us know why? As long as the oil meets or exceeds manufacturers recommendations they cannot tell you that you cant use it.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I agree

I agree with all of you, the stealertship just would not commit to saying it was OK. I guess they want their stuff only. I will leave it in. Thanks again to all........

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I am looking for a opinion on Amsoil synthetic fluid for use in a transfer case application. My Ford dealer says not in my 2005 Sportrac Thanks.

keep in mind the dealership wants too SELL YOU A NEW TRUCK in 5yrs. and of course they do not want you to use the best product on the market (amsoil) to protect your investment. All the engine manufacturers recommend that you do not use amsoil but they cannot deny warranty if you do as it EXCEEDS there standards with the correct maintenance program you will get at least 2x the service life as well as improved mpg and also you will be more environmentally friendly.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Yeah, let us know why? As long as the oil meets or exceeds manufacturers recommendations they cannot tell you that you cant use it.

Exactly! I will remind you that every Amsoil product will exceed the OE specification doesn't matter what it is. That is the way Amsoil rolls and why they have been in business for 35 years. As long as you choose the correct product for the OE specifications Amsoil's product for that application will exceed it.

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
More to the story

I hate to beat this thing to death but I guess I am still not sure. Ford of Canada says I should be putting transmission fluid Merc V in my transfer case as per the factory maintenance manual. Does Amsoil 75W-90 meet or exceed that spec ??

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I hate to beat this thing to death but I guess I am still not sure. Ford of Canada says I should be putting transmission fluid Merc V in my transfer case as per the factory maintenance manual. Does Amsoil 75W-90 meet or exceed that spec ??

If your manual calls for merc V Transmission fluid then thats what you need to put in it. A fluid that meets or beats that spec. Amsoil's Universal ATF would meet and exceed that spec. ;Sweet

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
I went to Smart Synthetics.com where the info on Amsoilis great. I am still trying to relate the viscosity of Merc V to the 75W-90 Amsoil the shop used.Any info would be appreciated as I don't want to hassel my favourite tranny shop if they are in fact correct on the use of the Amsoil product. Does Merc V have some type of rating that I can compare ??? :dunno

THANKS THANKS and more THANKS to all.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I went to Smart Synthetics.com where the info on Amsoilis great. I am still trying to relate the viscosity of Merc V to the 75W-90 Amsoil the shop used.Any info would be appreciated as I don't want to hassel my favourite tranny shop if they are in fact correct on the use of the Amsoil product. Does Merc V have some type of rating that I can compare ??? :dunno

THANKS THANKS and more THANKS to all.

If the shop you took it to used 75W-90 and your manuel calls for Merc V they put the wrong fluid in. You need to change the 75W-90 to the trans fluid. 75W-90 is too thick for that application if it calls for Merc V which it does I just looked it up. You need to take it back to that shop and have them change the fluid out.