Amsoil... Love it or hate it?

OkieTruckerD

A Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I thought about converting my truck completely over to Amsoil synthetic (Steer box, Eng. Oil, Transmission- ZF-5 shooter, and my Diff. Just wanted to get some opinions, facts, testimonials, before converting over.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I would never use it. I don't like the distribution network where you buy from a local guy called a distributor who ships it from his garage. :rolleyes:

nukinfuts

95 powerstroke
Reaction score
its decent stuff, but no better then what you can buy at an auto parts store. Its all a marketing thing...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regular, Frequent oil changes with conventional oils work just fine. Having a 12+ year old truck like the rest of us, I'm sure you can find other places to put the money you'd spend on synthetics.

If you're hell bent on synthetic lube, the products at the parts store are just as good and half the price of scAMSOIL...

my $.02
Ryan

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let you know about this summer. I'm switching over to the diesel and marine after my rinse cycle and 2nd AutoRx cycle. Not saying that conventional oils aren't good, they can be but they are no longer formulated with these old trucks even in the back of the mind. Also have you looked at the price of good conventional diesel oil, even Rotella and Valvoline are well over 13.50 a gallon! I'm going to shoot for 5-6000 mile change intervals. $21/gallon with a 6000 mile interval is cheaper than $14/gallon at a 2500-3500 mile interval.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I did a test with the Enterprise years ago where I was getting my oil tested from Blackstone Labs there in Fort Wayne so I had a good base of wear particles in the oil and then switched over to AMSOIL and took my sample down to them for testing and my wear dropped in half. I kept up with the testing at 3k miles (also changed the oil at the same time just as I had been with Shell Rotella - I was running Rotella for 3k miles because my wear was so high) and always my wear levels were half of what they were. I did the same thing with my current goat truck and while the drop wasn't as great it was still there (about 25%). Did the same thing with the car we had at the time - same thing - lower engine wear showing in the oil.

Now I haven't tested any other brand of syn oils but I suspect that just about all syn oils will give better results. I would suggest getting you oil tested then doing the same test - Don't change your interval or your brand of filter - just the brand of oil to get a good test. Yes the syn oil costs more but you will find that you can run it longer so it makes up for it. With my current truck I run 17k miles between changes and by the testing results I could push it out to 20K but I like to error on the caution side just in case. I noticed a little more wear last year as the engine broke the 350k mark so that is why I scaled back my interval a little.

Trust me I was skeptical so that is why I did established a base from many samples (better than 2 years worth of reports before switching) and didn't change anything other than the oil to see the effect of the high priced oil. I suggest doing the same before throwing stones it might just surprise ya - I know it did me.

Also you can buy the oil off their website and have it shipped to your doorstep. I even seen some for sale at Summit racing sitting on the shelf, and also at our local hardware store.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Ive run it my axles and my trans and t case in my 00.
I believe it saved the trans when my tc was sliiping and the temp hit 250 towing normal for that trans was 180. fluid was still pink, and I infact reused it in another truck.

my LS was crappy and after 30k I put amsiol in the rear, LS started to work.

cant say if amsoil is better or worse that any other synhetic, but for a while some stuff was cheaper than off the parts store shelf.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to afford to use the stuff, but our local NAPA has an entire shelf-unit stocked with a whole bunch of their products.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin