Alternator help

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I notice my alternator wasn’t charging and went to replace it today. When I took it out I noticed that 1 of the wires on the 2 wire plug was completely broken. I believe these go to the voltage regulator. I removed the connector and crimped on some spade connectors, but after installing the new alternator it is still not charging. I am thinking I may have gotten the 2 wires switched. 2 questions.
1. If I swap the 2 plug wires at the top of the alternator could I fry it, or would it just not work?
2. Which pins on the voltage regulator plug do I jump to full field the alternator to see if the voltage regulator is the issue?

Pics for reference.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
So I notice my alternator wasn’t charging and went to replace it today. When I took it out I noticed that 1 of the wires on the 2 wire plug was completely broken. I believe these go to the voltage regulator. I removed the connector and crimped on some spade connectors, but after installing the new alternator it is still not charging. I am thinking I may have gotten the 2 wires switched. 2 questions.
1. If I swap the 2 plug wires at the top of the alternator could I fry it, or would it just not work?
2. Which pins on the voltage regulator plug do I jump to full field the alternator to see if the voltage regulator is the issue?

Pics for reference.

Sorry Jayro88 - Don't have an answer for you, but, as I am researching a different alternator plug issue, I will post my findings if any, related info I find that crosses over and may help your situation out or for others that may run into similar problems.

My issue is with the actual plug going into the alternator itself.

My locking tab has become brittle with age and heat and has broken off, leaving the alternator plug to vibrate loose.

I am looking into where to get a new replacement plug (Ford has discontinued its manufacture so searching the net now) so that I can rewire an aftermart plug on a 1994 E350 7.3L IDI-N/A Cargo van.

I'll post anything I find on wiring or such. Good luck on your search and solutions....

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s charging now. Jumps to 15v right at start up and then drops 14.6 at idle with no accessories. 13.7 with both my front and rear blower on high.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So another question. I have had to replace my alternator multiple times. I have recently upgraded my batteries to 2x1100CCA group 31s. Mine is also a van with rear AC and judging from my volt meter the rear blower uses a lot. This would the bigger batteries and extra load from the blower cause my alternator to go out sooner due to the extra demand?

I am planning on a 3g alternator swap this spring when it warms up, but I am curious.

Thanks.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Always nice when its the simple fix, guess you dont need the reg pins?

I would still like to know. More knowledge is alway a good thing......or at least usually a good thing.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It just sounds like the system is working hard for a 1g to keep up, and van engine bays get real hot which doesnt help the alt last long. I dont know if the battery size will affect alt life much, the load will be the same regardless. I think the 3g will probably solve your alt issues. Dont know which pin off the top of my head but ill look it up in the service manual and post it

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just be careful going 3g if you are still on vbelt system still if you hate screeching and have a large electrical load. Large draws don't get along with your vbelt system. At least mine doesn't until the batteries recover from starting. Immediately turning on the ac and lights makes that more fun.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just be careful going 3g if you are still on vbelt system still if you hate screeching and have a large electrical load. Large draws don't get along with your vbelt system. At least mine doesn't until the batteries recover from starting. Immediately turning on the ac and lights makes that more fun.

Thanks for the warning. I would rather deal with an occasional belt squeal and have the extra juice. Plus I have been told by another van guy that the 3g alternator is actually slightly smaller so it helps when trying to wedge your hands in to work on something in the van.

Being able to gain any under hood space in the van is huge when it comes to repairs. That is the main reason I am also looking at relocating the fuel filter assembly to the frame rail as well.

8gitmusik1

1994_E350_7.3_IDI_N/A_E4OD
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I would rather deal with an occasional belt squeal and have the extra juice. Plus I have been told by another van guy that the 3g alternator is actually slightly smaller so it helps when trying to wedge your hands in to work on something in the van.

Being able to gain any under hood space in the van is huge when it comes to repairs. That is the main reason I am also looking at relocating the fuel filter assembly to the frame rail as well.

My issue is available engine bay space also.

Its so darned tight in my engine compartment and everything is jammed into every square inch of under the hood real estate.

Actually amazing engineering but a tough situation to replace parts and maint-enence the engine overall.

I believe I already have the 3G as I have the serpentine belt on my 94 cargo van. I'm still researching to find that info to be sure.

I would also like to reposition my fuel filter base assembly and filter to free up some much needed space.

I am going to add you to my people on here that I am following since you have a van as well and are dealing with similar issues.

Thanks for your posts as they are also helping me too.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My issue is available engine bay space also.

Its so darned tight in my engine compartment and everything is jammed into every square inch of under the hood real estate.

Actually amazing engineering but a tough situation to replace parts and maint-enence the engine overall.

I believe I already have the 3G as I have the serpentine belt on my 94 cargo van. I'm still researching to find that info to be sure.

I would also like to reposition my fuel filter base assembly and filter to free up some much needed space.

I am going to add you to my people on here that I am following since you have a van as well and are dealing with similar issues.

Thanks for your posts as they are also helping me too.

For the 3g thing, you just need to see if you have an external voltage regulator. On the vans it is located in front of the passenger side battery just above the headlight.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3g alt with the 1g pulley is the ticket. Make sure you put some sort of shim behind the pulley so the belt runs good and straight. Once I swapped mine and snugged the belt up it rarely makes anymore than a couple squeaks when it first starts and that’s usually only when the batteries a bit flat from setting.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online