Almost finished with painting

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I am almost finished with painting my truck but it's only about 2 weeks too late. Oh well, here is a picture of it almost all put back together, I got the bed back on and now I just have to put the hood, headlights and a few other parts on and it will be finished. I am waiting on a set of Bushwacker fender flares to go on it, they should be here sometime this week or maybe next.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thats after many hours of wetsanding and buffing and polishing, it takes forever to make one look decent, its no wonder body shops charge thousands of dollars.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks really good man...what kinda paint did u use? and how much did it take (gallons) reason i ask is i am getting ready to paint mine... thanks

brian

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I hear ya! I'm going to spray the 2nd coat of yellow on the '89 tomorrow....too late now, but I've had it with sanding...especially bondo! It also doesnt help when you suck at applying it LOL. But then I say to myself...its gonna do work, who really cares.

I'm using tractor enamel and when it dries, its very smooth, but "textured" like serious orange-peel or bedliner texture. I kinda like it.

Nice color, looks great!

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks really good man...what kinda paint did u use? and how much did it take (gallons) reason i ask is i am getting ready to paint mine... thanks

brian

I used Dupont Nason, Acrylic Enamel, Fast Dry, it was a little over $120 a gallon. It took me enough over a gallon that I ended up having to buy another half a gallon. So, I had $180 in paint, I already had the primer from a prior paint job. The total cost really goes up when you add in all the supplies, such as hardener, reducer, sand paper, wool buffing pad, buffing compound, foam polishing pad, polishing compound, and other odds and ends, I think I have close to $400 in the total job.

If I were to do it over, I would have probably used Base Coat / Clear Coat. It is much easier to shoot bc/cc and fix problems. It will even look deeper when you finish everything. I chose the acrylic enamel because that is what was on the truck and it held up fine for many years. I had issues with some dust and a few stinking bugs that would fly in right as I was finishing up, just enough to make me mad, but it all wet sanded out.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the Dark Blue from the 03-08 Ford trucks. It's a little darker than the Midnight Blue that was the original color of my truck.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good! Too bad you ran out of time before the Rally. But, we were all glad you could come.....PSD or IDI.;Sweet

We'll be seeing it at the Rally in 2010......RIGHT!:backoff:D

Heath