All newbs to OB read here first.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First and foremost I want to personally welcome each and every one of you to OB. I know that 99% of you are TDS refugees who came here to check the place out. Now that you are here I hope that you decide to stick around and bring your questions/answers here.

With that being said, lets keep the IDI section about tech and if you all want to announce your arrival here you can do it in this thread or over in The Lounge. I know that you came here to escape undue moderation (and the fact that we have way cool smileys;Sweet ) so I dont want this to seem as a slap on the wrist, but lets not flood the tech forum with nontech issues.:thanks:

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice sticky...now let's put it to work.

95 stroker-
now that there is a sticky at the top, can we start a FAQ sticky with one person responsible for editing and condesning all the tidbits of info posted? I don't mind helping to get the info started but I am headed overseas in a week and won't be back for a month.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im all for that towcat, how do you suggest we go about it. Start an IDI FAQ/Info thread? Have it locked so its a read only and you guys can PM the info to me and I can post it in the thread in your name? Or I can leave it open so that any and all can post thier own info, but I dont want the thread to turn into a chit chat swonk fest. It needs to be clear concise info that is useable, otherwise folks wont really find the thread informative.

Talk to me as I am all ears...........................

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would say keep it locked and then one of you higher up types can edit it for spelling, grammer and such then post the information. Some times when an idea is flowing at 60mph the ol fingers only run at 30mph so some of the words are lost in the translation. - not that I ever have that problem - no not me...

SHROFER

Reaction score
Newb from TDS, no complaints just looking to further my education on these IDI's

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
possible subjects for the FAQ post

DCA's, maybe even include ELC's (flame suit)
air in the fuel system trouble shooting
glow plug checks
common spongy brake problems -> vacuum test procedure
coolant filter installation
heater bypass valve installation
common turbo questions like can I turbo my 160K engine and links to the big three's websites and Travis and the other's install web pages
the cheap dual mass flywheel mod
head light relay wiring mod

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JPR,

I just read the submission you PM'd me and I also am thrilled with the suggestions you list above. Those would make great tech articles. Lemme throw aroudn some ideas with the rest of the staff here and see how we can appraoch this. Be it in the form of sticky threads that are locked or if we can develope a seperate page for tech articles.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95 stroker-
I don't know how to deal with the details. but I would suggest that the first sticky thread should deal with the basics. items such as casting numbers, torque specs, volt settings, timing settings is simple fact and is very difficult to contest. We are the basement dwellers and it is not rocket science to work on these motors.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat,

I agree, but what happens when you "stick" a thread to the top of a forum is stays there regarless of post date. So I dont want the first page of this forum to be dominated by sticky's. We will have prolly 15-20 tech articles that need to be sticky's. Know what I mean? I visit one message board in particular that has a few of its forum dominated by sticky's and it plain and simple sucks to have to scroll down half of the page to get to the newest threads.

Mike

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you designate one person or two with the powers to edit/move/delete content on a post just for this section? or can you place a nominated person in charge of such a thread? Hint..... the person MUST be IDI savvy.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI for you guys... If we need to link larger files or instructions and you do not want you sticky to get a mile long... We can upload to OB and make web pages of the stuff....

Hangfire

Reaction score
Originally posted by argve
Some times when an idea is flowing at 60mph the ol fingers only run at 30mph so some of the words are lost in the translation. - not that I ever have that problem - no not me...

lolLOL

I think a FAQ is a great idea since so many items get covered and recovered. As long as we can access the information easily.:thanks:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online