ALERT : '78 Bronco with '84 6.9 @ 100k Edgecomb, ME : low ask!

N.E fjord-by-fjord 2fiddy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I just chatted with this gentleman on facebook. His name is Michael. The ad caught my eye, because of the body year / engine claim. It said 6.9 diesel. Thats it... I thought it was some dope who didn't know what they had... So I asked him. Motor's out of a 1984 250. I was only curious about if it was an IDI or not, but it is. He's asking what I consider to be a CRAZY low price for it, considering what it is. (it has a plow too... , obviously).

He also ( i know i know... salesmanship...) let me know he's out of work, and needs money for bills and heat... But here's the thing: i'm out of work, and don't have the money to snatch this thing up... and I live near this guy too, less than an hour... and I believe him. It was -25 at night here 4 days of the last two weeks, and -15 the rest except for two. People are lined up around corners with trucks getting diesel because this cold snap caught everyone off guard... It's the worst I've ever seen, is all I'm saying... so I'm inclined to believe.

Anyway... Help a chilly brother out, and own a friggin' beast if you're in the market. Win-win!

....oh yeah. and I'll say it again" IT'S AN '84... 6.9... (no cav)....... @ 100k.

100. K.

LINK: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1976899609297631

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did he do with the suspension, to account for an engine that's heavier than was ever intended to put in (essentially) a half-ton truck?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know where you are in Maine, but that's normal for Presque Isle. In fact I saw -33F in the winter of 2007-8 (that was the winter we got a new all-time record of 203" of snow, also). -20's overnight is nothing new up in the County :)

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
It was -25 at night here 4 days of the last two weeks, and -15 the rest except for two. People are lined up around corners with trucks getting diesel because this cold snap caught everyone off guard... It's the worst I've ever seen, is all I'm saying...

So.......... When is it supposed to actually get cold? LOL

....oh yeah. and I'll say it again" IT'S AN '84... 6.9... (no cav)....... @ 100k.
I'll say it: It's an 84, block heater issues..... on your plow truck.......

Price is a little high for around here, plow's too small.
Used working hydraulic plows complete I figure $100/ft, and that's a $1200 truck.......
$2k would be my top end, but I'm in a different part of the country.

Last edited:

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this turned into a thermometer measuring contest... Any questions about the truck, I provided a link. Anyone who's interested in talking to this person directly about his mods can do so. I didn't really go into depth about his work with him. I valued it as such, because I see other Maine trucks set up like this, and none of them are kept well. But those are the ones that go for $1,500-2000 in the Maine market it seems... and that's just if they have a good frame. We all know about salt... blah blah. It just seems like if this guy's got a 100k 6.9, and had known enough to care for it and make the necessary changes/upkeep... With a plow for my driveway, hell yeah that thing's worth that in my neck.

But next time a person's freezing, I guess I'll just take some time to stop to tell him about the time I had it worse, and it was colder ovah heyah... Helps every time. :D

(just messin' around :flipa)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Psssh... block heater. I tested her last week unplugged when it was -28 on the lowest morning. She was fine. :)

Don't get me wrong though... I've been where you guys are and it's a whole other ball game. There really is something that happens around -30 and below that you don't feel when it's above -30... Like death looking over your shoulder or something. And the quiet... I love the crunch too. But you have to be a little nuts to love it. I used to work on a ski mountain. My favorite time was early morning at the top. So peaceful,

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did he do with the suspension, to account for an engine that's heavier than was ever intended to put in (essentially) a half-ton truck?

all it would need would be a set of air bags inside the coils. the only weak spot would be the track bar bushings and the 3 bolt steering box. stock suspension is pretty serious, lots of guys go on bigblock power and over 40" tires with just a lift kit.

if this thing is solid its probably a pretty good askign price. hard to build for $3600

I have a 78 Bronco xlt survivor and have been toying withthe diesel idea so it would be affordable to drive more often. 7.3 idi turbo fits without much mod, a 7.3 powerstroke would be perfect but a lot more work and fabricating.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not in the market but would the added weight of the diesel be a possible advantage for plow service?

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is a D44 solid axle, so the axle at least would be bit stronger than D44 TTB in some of the F250's of the IDI era. Of course, E250's and E350's with IDI's would have heavier coil springs to accommodate the added weight of the diesel. Maybe those would swap in place of the F150 coils springs.

Here in WI, he could get that $3600, especially since it has a plow, since the body appears to be solid.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see this turned into a thermometer measuring contest...

Mine is... uh, smaller than yours? :sly

But next time a person's freezing, I guess I'll just take some time to stop to tell him about the time I had it worse, and it was colder ovah heyah... Helps every time. :D

(just messin' around :flipa)
LOL
Have you ever tried mentioning to anyone that you're about to have a root canal? "Well, let me tell you what happened at MINE"

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rust would be my concern. That vintage with a plow on it has not been well cared for regardless of how “good” the swap is.

I learned my lesson. I will never buy anything with a plow on it again unless all I’m doing is plowing with it. Then it’s still questionable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online