Air lock???

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd had a problem on the way in to work this morning, and I'm not sure what it was. I'd like to know so that if something needs some serious work, I don't stray too far from home, or too far from the beaten path.

Here's the story. Both fuel gauges have quite on me this year. I run a WVO blend in the front during the warm months, and D2 in the rear tank. Everything is the Stock set up except for the wrap heater that I've added to the fuel filter. I'm pretty sure that the pick up tubes in both tanks are gone, and have been for years now. The truck has been in the shop for the last week. I had filled the rear tank before I dropped it off, but I couldn't remember how much I had driven on the front tank. AFter the truck warmed up, I kicked my fuel heater on and flipped over to the front tank. After about 5 miles, I started to loose a little power. I suspect that I was getting empty on my blend, so I left the heater on and switched back to the rear tank (D2). Didn't notice an imediate pick up in power, but I hadn't seen much of a drop to begin with so I didn't worry about it. 10 miles later, I really started loosing power. I limped another 5 miles trying to get her to work where I could work on her if need be, or leave her and have someone take me somewhere, but I didn't make it that far. Pedal to the floor, I had to drop all the way to 2nd gear and was only doing 15 mph and about 1600 RPM. Even with the clutch in I could only hit 2200 RPM. I finally got to a point where I could pull over and let traffic go by (idiot behind me wouldn't pass in the wide open passing zones). Pulled into a parking area, pushed in on the clutch and the engine drifted to a stop. I chocked the wheels, left it out of gear and the key off. It didn't act like a plugged filter, and the filter light wasn't on (doesn't always work), but I keep a spair with me so I figured I would start checking there. Popped the hood, opened the drain valve and nothing came out. Opened the incoming line from the lift pump and then fuel started draining out the drain valve. Closed that off and left the incomeing line off the filter. Shorted the Bendix and fuel pumped out the open line. Hooked that back up and disconnected the return line from the filter housing. Sorted the bedix again and fuel shot across the engine bay out of the housing. Put the return line back on, disconnect the output from the filter and repeated the test. Once again fuel pumped out of the filter head. Hooked that line back up. Removed the line from the front injector on the drivers side. Repeated the test. This time nothing. Turned the engine over for 5 or 10 seconds and still nothing. I though I had lost the IP at that point. Brother In Law called on the cell phone about something. I complained to him for a few minutes (Might as well give you the full run down....) Started drizzling rain. Put the fuel line back on finger tight and took the oil cap off. Shorted the bendix again while I watched the gear teeth to make sure they were turning. That was okay. Started to drizzel rain pretty hard. Grabbed my tools and hopped in the cab as a down pour started. Called the boss and let him know I was going to be pretty late. I'd been on the phone with work most of the night, so I was already going to be an hour or so late anyway. Left him a message and then figured what the heck, I'd see if the truck would even fire. Truck started right up. Good responce from the throttle. Shut it off. Rain slowed down a lot. Took the wrench back out and tightend up the line that I had left loose on the injector. Closed the hood, started the truck up and it drove fine the last 5 miles to work. Good accleration. Plenty of power.

Anyone have any ideas what happened?

Thanks,
Mark

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you ran out of fuel and didn't get switched back to your rear tank quick enough. I ran out of fuel in the front tank once and switched it but the truck barely made it into the driveway and died. I had to loosen injector lines and bleed out the air before it would fire again.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One note with cranking and bleeding the injectors, crackers them open and crank till you get fuel, but be very careful with working the starter. Don't crank too long at a time, and as soon as the battery starts to weaken, stop. Don't keep cranking till it won't crank no more, or you will burn up your starter by underpowering it. Charge up the batteries and be patient.

Edit: I'm on my phone so I didn't see the end of your story. I thought you were still sitting dead. Never mind.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My best guess is you ran out of fuel. I understand the tank senders not working but you need to watch the miles on each tank and figure only 3/4 of each tank can be used with broken shower heads. The front tank is an easy fix. Get under the rig and remove the sender without dropping the tank. A screwdrivers, hammer will knock the ring loose to lift out the sender suction mess. then add 3 or 4 inches of 3/8 fuel hose and one clamp and your done there. The rear tank requires much more work to remove the sender. Tank has to be dropped but the fuel supply and return lines that cross the frame rail above the differancial needs to be cut loose to give you more working room when you drop the tanks. Remember the tank has about5 gallons in it so its heavy and hard to handle. Gravity works against you here. As the tank is dropping down you need to reach in to remove the supply and return lines without damaging them or the sender. The wires simpley just pull off the sender. Also the fuel fill line must be removed. Please clean out the tanks when its off the truck. Any broken pieces of the shower head will surely get sucked into the tank switching valve and ruin it. Also drain the fuel out. Its much easier to lift an mt tank. Fluids in a big flat tank will move around and unbalance the mess. Gravity again working against you.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IF he was running out of fuel, wouldn't it give the tell tale power surge??

My 6.2 and 7.3 sure did. That's how I knew it was time to add fuel on my 6.2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online