Air leaks in fuel system, possible bad Schrader valve?

spencnaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to track down a persistent air leak in the fuel system of my truck. I have replaced all the fuel lines (the rubber ones) this summer.

I check the connections going to the fuel water separator area (it's been bypassed) and found no leaks.

I put in a clear fuel sight in the line to the engine where the F/W separator resides and see bubbles coming from the engine side of the glass. If you let the truck sit for a period of time, say at least 4 hours, the truck will start for 5 seconds and then die. After some cranking of about 15 seconds it will get fuel and snort for about another 5 before settling down to a smooth idle.

I've replaced the fuel filter recently as part of regular maintenance. My question is that can the Schrader valve go 'bad' as it were and start to leak air into the fuel return system?

I've put in all new injectors, pump and fuel return lines this past summer.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes they can go bad and leak. Just find yourself a tire valve cap with a rubber gasket inside, and put it on (Cheap caps have no gasket). They have caps from the factory but get lost over the years.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Look at the connector on top of the fuel filter header for the heater wire. I found that mine leaks and ordered a new O ring from the local IH house. When I get it in, I will post the part number. Ford will only sell a whole new filter head.

Figure that is where air gets into my system while it sits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin