Air compressor mounting

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I 'm about to mount an air seat in my truck and I scavanged a 12v onboard compressor and controls from another vehicle that had air shocks. I'm going to mount an air tank scavenged off a semi trailer under the bed so i can get a few bursts off the impact to change a tire etc.
Question is, where would be a good place to mount This compressor I don't know if it needs to be mounted interior or if it can be out in the elements. The vehicle i got it off had it mounted inside hidden in a fender well.
It's made by Thomas if that rings any bells.

Thanks------Robert

Attachments

• Air compressor.jpg
    Air compressor.jpg
    692.4 KB · Views: 14

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
It looks pretty sealed from the pic. I'd mount it on the frame rail near the tank(my tank is mounted on the pass. frame rail in front of the rear wheel). And maybe bend upa sheet metal box to shield it from rocks, water etc. Let me know how well that compressor holds up to filling an air tank. I don't think it would have enough cfm to last very long filling a 10 gallon tank.
vbpgimage.php

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Check out my pictures............I mounted mine above the front passenger wheel well, only had to remove the factory jack and had plenty of room. I fabricated a small aluminum mounting shelf to hold the small tank and compressor and then mounted a bigger tank under the truck bed in front of the front fuel tank.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run a line for the filter/intake to a point INSIDE the cab, with the air-filter in the cab.

Use at least a one-inch I.D. line for air-intake.

This will keep out a bunch of the crap that clogs filters; also, the in-cab atmosphere is not nearly so humid, so less water in the tank.

Plumb in a schraeder valve, such that the big tank can be charged from a big shop compressor, thus taking a lot of the load off of the small compressor.

Fill the tank with shop air; then, let the pressure-switch kick on the little compressor, when the pressure drops.