After years of idi ownership...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Can it be used to check timing on non diesels and carb'd engines?
I' not sure about that. I end to doubt it since gas engines are usually timed by spark, not fuel pulses. Although, if you use a gas engine timing light, it may work. Even if it doesn't work with a carb, there may be one, rare exception to this not working for gas engines and that would be on a gas engine with mechanical fuel injection. With knowing next to nothing about those, I'll guess that they have two systems that need to be in time, the spark timing and the fuel timing. I'll bet that these meters would pick up the fuel pulses on one of those engines just fine.
Maybe he bought a bunch of a military surplus equipment at auction or something?
They are military surplus. They are listed as being for Humvees.
There is multiple sellers listing these on Ebay. I bought from a different one than Chillman did.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
Can it be used to check timing on non diesels and carb'd engines?

From what I know about the Snap-On Lumy/Mag2 that I picked up from an old mechanic for $150, these type of timing systems only work with gas engines if they support the magnetic pickup instead of the luminosity probe. My snap-on has a magnetic adapter that fits into a port found on most gas engines including old carb'd engines. There is a specific offset that has to be used for your model engine to get the timing accurate. Basically from what I gather, there is a magnetic point on the damper wheel that the pickup can sense as it revolves around so the readout on the device gives you an accurate timing degree. From looking at the instruction sheet on your unit, it appears it has a magnetic pickup and "offset" feature. The original snap-on model didn't have this, that is what they added with the version 2 that I currently have. I have yet to use it so I can't say how useful it actually is vs a timing light. But without the correct offset values I don't know how you would get it to be accurate. Maybe the ones from the snap-on unit would carry over, here is a link to the manual that explains how it works on the snap-on unit.

*edit IDIbronco brings up a good point tho that it has to be able to read spark timing which the snap-on does but maybe that's the feature this model is missing to prevent it from being used on gasser's, I'm really not sure because I'm clueless on this stuff, haha!

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I just got one as well .but does this include strob light or timing light ? and do I need one to time my 7.3 Turbo Deisel ?

It does not seem to include a luminosity probe. I would think that a turbo idi can be timed just the same as an N/A but I dont actually know for sure.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I just got one as well .but does this include strob light or timing light ? and do I need one to time my 7.3 Turbo Deisel ?
It does not seem to include a luminosity probe. I would think that a turbo idi can be timed just the same as an N/A but I dont actually know for sure.
The answer is no it doesn't have a timing light included. The Factory Turbo engines can be timed without one just like the N/A ones. If you want a timing light, you can use even a cheap one for a gas engine. You clip the spark plug lead onto the metal inductive loop in the recessed part behind the displays. If you don't have an adjustable light, you use the two little buttons on the meter itself. If you want the "proper" light from DTI, it has the adjustment buttons on the light itself, but mine cost me about $102 or $103 with the shipping included. That's all for this type of meter. As for the other types, I can't answer since I haven't used them before.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online