advice & whats it worth

Lugger007

Reaction score
Goodevening all,

I know I'm not a regular on here, but i try and read a good amount to learn. Recently a good deal feel in fount of me (i think). A 2002 Ram 3500 CTD dual rear tires. I drove it the other day and its not stock. Has 6 in exhaust, afe intake and some gauges, not sure what else. My buddie who is a diesel tech is going to look at it for me, but what should I keep my eyes out for when I look again this week. I'm not very familiar with cummins as I've been a ford guy for years. Below I have attached a link to the truck. Any advice would be great. Also what do you think this would be worth, the tires are new and has some upgrades but I know the dealer didn't give the seller much for them so nor will I in my opinion. The sales guy said its been on the lot for a month or so and the owner wants to move it.

Also what type of milage should I be expecting, my suv gets 15 or 16 tops now. So if the numbers are close I won't be to discouraged. I usually drive about 70mph.
http://crowleyauto.com/PreOwned/pre_owned_detail.php?id=Z290381A&lot=4247

Thanks,

Brian

Batman

Reaction score
Price seems to be rather steep.
I noticed it has gauges, check fuel pressure at idle, be sure it is above 10psi.

A couple things to look at, to see how much it has been modified:
- drivers side of the engine, just below the intake horn, you will notice the injection pump (it has 6 hard lines coming out of the back of it) there is a small black encased wire, pull the sheathing back to see if the wire has been tampered with, if so, this truck has had a fueling box on it. Not necessarily a bad thing, just an fyi.
- drive the truck to an upgrade 5-7%, stop on the hill going up it. let off the brake without giving it throttle. If the truck rolls up the hill, the trans has probably been modified (a good thing). If it doesn't move, or rolls backwards slightly, the trans is probably stock.....
- hammer the loud pedal from a stop, if you have a large amount of smoke, there may be upgraded injectors.
- check to see if a pusher fuel pump was installed, it could be located on/or about the frame rail just below the fill tube.

The above are just FYI ideas.
Looks like a nice clean truck.
Good luck
g

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another telltale is the exhaust manifold. On engine's that have had the **** run out of them with a stock manifold the #6 exhaust port can be off by more than an 1/8". If the rearmost pair of manifold bolts and spacers look crooked and you can see there's a port mismatch it may be an engine to avoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance