ADVICE please 94' 7.3idi

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Finally got to trade trucks a few days ago and I'm the new owner of a 94' F-250 7.3 idi.

Problems

Small oil leak coming from an unidentified location

It's an automatic and when put into gear it jerks really hard.

Now when I'm driving down the road it shifts kinda hard but not too bad. A couple times though. I've slowed down to a complete stop and then boom my truck just dies. I put it in park and start it back up sometimes it will drive just fine. But today the same thing happens but instead of it driving fine. Every time I put it in drive it went into gear really hard and died. It done that a couple times. So I said the hell with it and backed all the way back down the road to the house. I'm a first time diesel owner so any advice on this would be great thankyou.

Also the transmission was rebuilt in January of 2016 and has a 3 year warranty on it.

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Also the previous owner was messing around with the dash/gauge area. So it's loose and he said when he pulled it loose it made the gauges stop working. The only things that work are the speedo and the RPM. But he had Aftermarket gauges put in for temp, oil pressure, and voltage

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my e40od shifted erratic but my speedo didn't work. You said yours does so I would rule that out. Check your brake light wiring, it could have a short and not signaling the torque converter to unlock when you stop and put it in gear. It uses the brake signal to unlock the torque converter so it doesn't do exactly what you describe

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
Well my e40od shifted erratic but my speedo didn't work. You said yours does so I would rule that out. Check your brake light wiring, it could have a short and not signaling the torque converter to unlock when you stop and put it in gear. It uses the brake signal to unlock the torque converter so it doesn't do exactly what you describe
Well my brake lights currently don't work. Other then the one on the cab

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Someones been doing some heavy reading.;Sweet

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small oil leak coming from an unidentified location
This is the Ford Rust Prevention System(TM) at work! It's a feature, not a bug! :p

On a more serious note, where? Leaks down by the starter are usually diesel fuel leaking into the valley pan and getting dirt and grime along with it.

You can also have front/rear main seal leaks, especially at this age.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
One other thing to check on. If you can, find out where the transmission was rebuilt or purchased from and ask if the warranty is transferrable or if it's only good for the last guy.

Jeremy Cima 31

Reaction score
One other thing to check on. If you can, find out where the transmission was rebuilt or purchased from and ask if the warranty is transferrable or if it's only good for the last guy.
Yeah I'm going to call the shop and double check. I wonder if simply giving my transmission a full service with all new fluid and filter would help.