advice on steering...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
OK here's the deal, my steering has been rigged for 7 years now now the other day i bent the steering arm causing death wobble!! I am thinking that i need a drop pit-man arm and i could adjust the steering in.( after i but a new steering arm. My problem is that both arm rub on my leaf springs at full turn and this is causing problems( i swapped a 77 d-44 in 7 years ago to make it a 4x4)

Now remember this was 7 years ago i was 17 and had no money, so it is a little cobbed!:D

it migh be a little hard to see in these pics i will see if i can find some more but the pitman arm that is on there is straight out. so does anyone have a drop pitman laying around?

Attachments

• DSC00086-1.jpg
    DSC00086-1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC00231-1.jpg
    DSC00231-1.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 11

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might still have one I bought for an 82 F250 years ago. I didn't have a big enough socket to change it then, and then I totaled the truck. I'll check later, if I have it it will be in a storage trailer across town.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
cant see your steering set up well enough to tell if you geometry looks out. death wobble sucks, been there, crapped my pants at that.:eek: if your arm is as steep as you say it is i would think bump steer would be an issue.

death wobble can be hard to track, especially with a custom set up, good luck.;Sweet

so on a side note, how has the dana 44 held up over the years? dousent look like you trussed it at all for the weight of the truck.

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
:confused:
really dumb question....
you're not using the same steering linkage setup from the IFS axles are you?

Its not a dumb question, because i have used the ifs steering since the axle was put in. Do you have any other ideas for me that i could use?

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
so on a side note, how has the Dana 44 held up over the years? doesn't look like you trussed it at all for the weight of the truck.

I have had an axle shaft break but other than that no issues, But after my pull yesterday i think i fubard the R&P or the transfer case.-cuss Oh well it was worth the fun!:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:confused:

Its not a dumb question, because i have used the ifs steering since the axle was put in. Do you have any other ideas for me that i could use?

I'd start with getting a setup off a f350 with a solid dana 60 axle. Your steering geometry issues will be solved immeadiately as well as bump steer issues. If the tie rod studs are of different diameter, take a look at a chevy setup, dana 44s were found under chevys for many years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker