Long Haul trip

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Ok all the parts are in so Im tearing into the truck thursday to swap in the zf and install the hypermax pulse kit. I have to get all this in the truck, change the wheel bearings, get an alignment and still have time to do a shake down run of 1k miles before the 30th. Im leaving Kissimmee fl on the 30th and headed to Lafayette Indiana, from there its west on I-80 and I-84 till I get to my new home and job in Portland Oregon.

If anyone is willing to get me their info that lives along this route I would greatly appreciate it. I dont expect any problems, but no one ever does. If anyone lives along I75,I80, or I84 and would be willing to lend a hand should this go badly, let me know.

Thanks for all the help and support so far.

I havent been on this forum too long, I just heard about it from 4x4truckgirl and her unfortunate turbo problems. This forum ( and all of you) have already been a great help and a load of info (thanks to the tech articles :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ) Keep up the good work, and keep the rubber side down.

wish me luck,
Justin

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good luck! Too bad your timing is only off a couple of weeks, you could have hit the annual IDI Weekend on your way. Check the Brotherhood Contacts List for a comprehensive state by state list of folks likely to help if you need it. (Do a Ctrl-F in your browser to find a state easily) Put the turbo on while you have the ZF out. You'll be able to cheat a little, and drop the rear of the engine down to gain clearance for working on the install. Watch the fan doesn't catch the shroud. ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm just east of Salem, Oregon. If you have any trouble within a couple hours drive, I will come help out. I'll send you a pm with my contact info ;Sweet (I dont like giving out my number where everyone can see it :D).

I'm at the last like 5% of your trip though, so lets hope if you do have trouble's, that its around someone that can help :D

If your pulling anything, and heaven forbid your truck totally pukes out on you, and your in the state somewhere, if you help out with fuel I'll come and tow whatever you need to where you need to go ;Sweet.

By the way, F'n sweet name man ;Sweet

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I'm in Ft Wayne In which is just the other side of the state from Lafayette. I think my contact info is in that link that Mel posted.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone. I turned the pm's on, sorry I thought I had them on already. Im really lookn forward to this, its gonna be a lot of work but a lot of fun too. Im gonna detour a little from lafayette and head further north to wisconsin to visit some friends then west.

Thanks again everyone, its nice having help available (florida sucks the life out of you and gets you thinkn the world hates you)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone. I turned the pm's on, sorry I thought I had them on already. Im really lookn forward to this, its gonna be a lot of work but a lot of fun too. Im gonna detour a little from lafayette and head further north to wisconsin to visit some friends then west.

Thanks again everyone, its nice having help available (florida sucks the life out of you and gets you thinkn the world hates you)

There stilled turned off man ;Sweet

slicknic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck on your trip!

Im leaving for Moab Utah in a couple weeks so I know how you are feeling about having the old truck let you down. Hopefully the diesel prices will drop before you and I leave LOL

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The chance of diesel dropping in price is roughly the same as kissimmee florida getting snowfall in july. I hope something gives though. I have more budget for the fuel than I do for room and board on the road for a week.