Accelerator stuck on the floor last night

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was on my way to the store to pick up some things when I noticed my accelerator acting funky. I decided to turn back home, since I was only about a mile away. After I shifted into 4th and started accelerating, the truck just kept going. I reached down to pull the pedal back and got nothing. Pushed in the clutch, as I was doing 70 mph in a 55 zone. Tach shot straight to 4000, then kept climbing slowly to 4500 where I shut the truck off. When I restarted the truck, it idled, and that was it. I was able to coast a ways, then had to idle in 2nd to get home. Upon inspection, the plastic piece popped out of the accelerator pedal. When I reinstalled it, it would hang up around 2500 rpm. Then I pulled the cable out as far as I could, and found it to be frayed and ready to snap.

Two questions: Anyone have a good condition cable laying around? And, why the hell would it keep climbing in rpm like it did? It redlined, and then was slowly going up til I decided to shut it off.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
Was on my way to the store to pick up some things when I noticed my accelerator acting funky. I decided to turn back home, since I was only about a mile away. After I shifted into 4th and started accelerating, the truck just kept going. I reached down to pull the pedal back and got nothing. Pushed in the clutch, as I was doing 70 mph in a 55 zone. Tach shot straight to 4000, then kept climbing slowly to 4500 where I shut the truck off. When I restarted the truck, it idled, and that was it. I was able to coast a ways, then had to idle in 2nd to get home. Upon inspection, the plastic piece popped out of the accelerator pedal. When I reinstalled it, it would hang up around 2500 rpm. Then I pulled the cable out as far as I could, and found it to be frayed and ready to snap.

Two questions: Anyone have a good condition cable laying around? And, why the hell would it keep climbing in rpm like it did? It redlined, and then was slowly going up til I decided to shut it off.

sounds like a damn toyota! :rotflmao :rotflmao

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the cable can be btought at a local auto parts store but you might need to measure it. i got mine from napa. what is hanging up im willing to bet is those springs right before the injector pump but the whole assembly is easy to get off and only cost about 50

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cable is hanging, it's frayed as it goes thru the firewall in the plastic tube. At WOT, the frayed ends get caught while trying to be pulled back thru the firewall, and it hangs up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And, why the hell would it keep climbing in rpm like it did? It redlined, and then was slowly going up til I decided to shut it off.

This indeed is the real important question - why didn't he overspeed governor defuel? I've tested mine, in neutral or park with my foot on the floor she will stay at 3800 rpms, this is with the IP throttle arm as far back as the stop screw allows it to go. Yours should have done the same, hit about 3800 and just stay there, the fact that the engine speed kept climbing suggest to me there is something happening inside the IP that should not be...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about that too. The only time I have seen anything over governed RPM was that time that my engine ran away due to a bent throttle linkage in the governor cover.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about suing and demanding a recall? Better call the TSB before we all get killed in these things!!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I can say one difference between a toyota runaway and an IDI runaway is the IDI will still listen to reason even when spooked. Neutral and the ignition still worked and the truck came home on its own power.

Good on you for keeping your wits about, kas83.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either the governor on that things is broke or you have some major oil blowby issues at WOT

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should mention that I've been running approximately 60% WMO lately, don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

I'm hoping that it's something with the pump itself, as this truck hardly uses any oil, and with the Banks adapter off, there is hardly any steam/blowby coming out of the oil fill while it's running. Also, when I shut the key off, it stopped instantly, so I believe it was solely revving on fuel alone.

I'm going to get a new cable next week, been able to limp it around the last couple days without a problem. I'm going to leave the pump alone for now, simply don't have the funds to mess with it, and hope that it doesn't take off on me again.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try running some strait diesel with a little ATF in the filter. Sounds to me like the fuel metering or governor is jambed.