Ac compressor. Which oil?

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did try using the search but it came up with every thread that has the word oil in it.

Got a new AC compressor for a 93'. Originally this was an r12 system but I converted it to 134a the first time I fixed the ac system 11 years ago.

New compressor has 3 oz of oil in it. I need to add 4 more. The documentation with the compressor says to refer to their list for my model year for oil capacity and type. The type listed is esther but also lists r12 as the refrigerant. So I would think the oil in the compressor is esther based on their chart.

So if I pick up more ester oil but then charge the system with 134a is that going to present a problem?
My research says that 134a and ester oils are miscible (soluable) but I honestly don't know if in the A/C system you want things to be homogenous or the oil and refrigerant to be separate.

Thoughts?

Edit** Nevermind. I just googled the manufacturer name and part number and that got me the info I needed. Mods can delete if they want.

Last edited:

genscripter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edit** Nevermind. I just googled the manufacturer name and part number and that got me the info I needed. Mods can delete if they want.

Could you post what you ended up finding? Someone in the future might end up in the same situation, read this thread, and might want to know what you did.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor was also listed for the 94-96 trucks and Bronco which use 134a.

Their documentation listed pag46 oil for that application. So that's what I used. Working fine now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online