Absolutely hate starters

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
About the best this forum has found is the ebay new DB starter.Personally I have never tried one but many here have and really like them.
As for the broken trans mount bolt I feel threading all the way thru the aluminum mount will save it from happening. The side that broke I suspect is the side that lifts under heavy torque or acceleration.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the starters on these trucks are easy. I knocked mine out in around 30 gravy minutes.

I am surprised you found a place locally that carried an IDI starter. I had to source a used starter one weekend when mine took a dump, and I had to use the truck to pull something I wanted to pull that weekend. Got it done though

the biggest question I have to this 'story' is did you make the wedding on time? I was expecting you to update us with the play by play on what transpired.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a thick washer for that and it will run a long time. I know.lol
What happens is some dope runs a standard 1/2 inch bolt in there and blows off the corner because they lost one of the metric ones. Thats how my 4x4 was for years.

ZOP

Reaction score
As mentioned by others both of those are gear reduction units, however, having used both, the Nippondenso lastas and the Mistu doesn't for me in my '84. Only thing that's killed one Nippondenso is loaning out the truck to a moron and the key stuck to START due to a weak return spring and sub zero temps, idiot then drove it 30m from town to home with the starter on until it failed at some point on the drive.

I'm able to get a gear reduction starter from o reileys it's this one:

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/s...rter_1126561_5109&search=true&keyword=Starter

Just realized what I thought was the gear reduction part of the starters is not. I still have the giant long direct drive starter on the truck much like this one.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/s...tarter_1126561_-1&search=true&keyword=Starter

So yeah. This starter has saw some rough days before my glow plug system was working and the truck had two good batteries. It's not out of the question for it to have died, but when it's still working fine and sounds good you don't expect it to tank.

And of all days. Ugh.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have called me Brian. I have about half dozen IDI starters laying around and 1 gear reduction I would have made you a screaming deal on.

If your tail housing doesn't hold I do have a 2wd 5 speed tail around too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a wild hair the weekend my starter died, bought one locally for 50$ so I could have my truck the next week. I can not remember why I wanted it so bad. I have a gear reduction now, I like it a lot better because it uses less amps from the battery.

shawn deere

So many wrenches, so little time...
Reaction score
As mentioned by others both of those are gear reduction units, however, having used both, the Nippondenso lastas and the Mistu doesn't for me in my '84. Only thing that's killed one Nippondenso is loaning out the truck to a moron and the key stuck to START due to a weak return spring and sub zero temps, idiot then drove it 30m from town to home with the starter on until it failed at some point on the drive.
The wife did this.... shhhhhhhhh

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
As much hating on the Mitsubishi starter as I see, just remember that they are WAY better than the old Delco-Remy starters. They feel like they weigh only 1/3 as much and are actually easier to get a socket on the top bolt. No, they aren't as good as the "superduty" style starters, but they work still well for me.

Pullet

Reaction score
He's talking 'piggyback' starter like Nippondenso rather than inline Mitsubishi, both of which are, however, gear reduction.

I had hard starts for a while and killed a Mitsubishi, but they work.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I call them that because they came out stock on all of the FSuperDutys I can remember seeing. We started calling them that at the shop I used to work in back in the late '90's.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had a starter do that once, it got hot enough I had to replaced the cable end to boot.
After hunting this town for 2 hours trying to find a 6/0 ring terminal (which I found at napa), I bought a battery disconnect switch from the rack right next to them.
If I have a starter hang up ever again, all I have to do it reach under the passenger side door and flip the switch.

It also means I got to change the last starter without losing all my radio settings. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online