Absolutely hate starters

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3rd starter I've had on this truck in 14 months just fried on me in the parking lot of a grocery store. Have a wedding reception I need to be at in two hours. New cables after starter #2. Tried jumping fender relay but to no avail. Thinking it's probably dead or the relay on the starter popped. Last time I jumped the relay on the starter the starter wouldn't disengage and the battery cables were on too tight so I was left to break the starter by letting the clutch out slowly in 4th until the starter motor popped.

Never fails. Gonna lose my sanity over these stupid things. And to make matters worse I'll have to put a **** AutoZone one on to get it out of the grocery store lot since it's the weekend and i won't be able to get a good one in time.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had good luck with Autozone or advanced auto starters. I've never had to replace a Napa new one though. I'd think they'd get the starters the same place but maybe I'm just getting lucky. I've had issues with db electrical starters too

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do the teeth look? Maybe they are intermittently getting stuck on because of an issue with the ignition?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm able to get a gear reduction starter from o reileys it's this one:

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/s...rter_1126561_5109&search=true&keyword=Starter

Just realized what I thought was the gear reduction part of the starters is not. I still have the giant long direct drive starter on the truck much like this one.

http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/oap/s...tarter_1126561_-1&search=true&keyword=Starter

So yeah. This starter has saw some rough days before my glow plug system was working and the truck had two good batteries. It's not out of the question for it to have died, but when it's still working fine and sounds good you don't expect it to tank.

And of all days. Ugh.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your long starter picture is also gear reduction. Mitsubishi.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh haha. Well at least the top bolt will be easier to get to... haha

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Been running a AutoZone new unit on my PSD for probably about 5 years now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh haha. Well at least the top bolt will be easier to get to... haha

A trick for the top bolt.... Go get a stud.... Thread the stud in, now the starter will hang in place while you start the 2 bolts... Put a nut and lock washer on the stud...... Makes changing the starter a much more "plesant" experience.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What size are the heads of the starter bolts again typically? I'm grabbing some tools from home to do this.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A trick for the top bolt.... Go get a stud.... Thread the stud in, now the starter will hang in place while you start the 2 bolts... Put a nut and lock washer on the stud...... Makes changing the starter a much more "plesant" experience.
I had to do both truck starters within a week of each other. The whole time I was like "there must be a better way!!!"

Definitely doing this next time

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having good luck with autozone remans in chip truck.Sometimes I start that truck 20-40 times a day.I'm on my second one after a few years now.Lifetime warranty so it didn't cost me anything to change it last time either.Wish everything I bought was so nice lol.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starter is done everything works beautifully I about passed out when I heard how fast this one spun. As I was crawling out from under there I then noticed this:

You must be registered for see images attach

I feel as though I'm prob supposed to have that other bolt.....

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A fender washer or spammer plate and through bolt or a c clamp is all I see for fixing that without welding

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

We'll see how that goes. It's on there pretty tight.