About to install rebuilt u-haul injection pump....

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had it for about a year and a half. Who knows how long it was stored prior to that. It's been stored in a sealed plastic bag with whatever oil was on it from the rebuild company. Is there anything I need to do to "freshen" it up befor I install it? Any chance any of the oil inside the pump may have gummed up? If so, how could I clean it out? I'm installing new type4 injectors at the same time and don't want to foul them up with crud that may be inside the pump as a result of years of storage.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if you have concerns what I would do is leave out the injecters and install the pump. But fill the new fuel filter with atf. Get the engine started till you hear the engine running differantly on the atf. Now shut it down and let it sit overnite. That atf will clean out any crud that may be in the pump. Run it for about a week or till you feel its run in well and nothing is left in the pump. This crud ides has no way to make sure there was any crap in the pump. Then change the injecters and return lines after you have proven the pump.. Only other way of "cleaning out the pump is to bench run the pump with atf going thru it only. Let it sit overnite then run it till your feeling good about whats coming out the pump head.. No need to install lines off the pump too. Just expect some atf mess so make sure your ready for a cleanup. Or just install all the parets and run atf thru the pump and sit it overnite.... Some choices now...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im running an IFS reman bought from u-haul too.not considering selling that ip instead and putting the $ towards a turbo calibrated ip?
supposed to have a better timing curve i guess.i'll be doing the swap when it warms up.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this is a turbo pump. It has the "torque screw" which I believe was the only difference between a turbo and non turbo pump. I could be wrong though. I believe the torque screw is what adjusts the fueling curve.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would a cleaner like Power Service work as good or better than trans fluid? I use PS to prime my fuel filters anyway.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe this is a turbo pump. It has the "torque screw" which I believe was the only difference between a turbo and non turbo pump. I could be wrong though. I believe the torque screw is what adjusts the fueling curve.

all of the 92 1/2+ ip's have that adjustment.n/a and turbo pumps.that's not what discerns them.
the u-haul trucks were all n/a so they had no use for turbo calibrated ip's.
what makes the difference is inside.as i understand it,the fuel rate is the same actually since it's adjustable inside anyway.it's all about the timing curve as you press the skinny.how much of a difference it really makes i don't know.i have a feeling it wont be worth the $450 though lol but what ya gunna do.never know until ya try it i figure.i pray it helps economy.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all of the 92 1/2+ ip's have that adjustment.n/a and turbo pumps.that's not what discerns them.
the u-haul trucks were all n/a so they had no use for turbo calibrated ip's.
what makes the difference is inside.as i understand it,the fuel rate is the same actually since it's adjustable inside anyway.it's all about the timing curve as you press the skinny.how much of a difference it really makes i don't know.i have a feeling it wont be worth the $450 though lol but what ya gunna do.never know until ya try it i figure.i pray it helps economy.

Does the turbo pump run more or less timing? Gas turbo cars run less timing than n/a.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel can answer these questions about turbo calibrated pumps and the curves they have for timing and fuel feeds.

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I have had it for about a year and a half. Who knows how long it was stored prior to that. It's been stored in a sealed plastic bag with whatever oil was on it from the rebuild company. Is there anything I need to do to "freshen" it up befor I install it? Any chance any of the oil inside the pump may have gummed up? If so, how could I clean it out? I'm installing new type4 injectors at the same time and don't want to foul them up with crud that may be inside the pump as a result of years of storage.

I "refreshed" my UHaul pump by soaking it for 2 days in 50% diesel - 50% dieselkleen. I kept it fully submerged in an ultrasonic tank, and gave it about a dozen 30-minute zaps of ultrasonic cleaning. It was stored for probably 8 years, so I figured this would dissolve any gummed up oil deposits. Maybe overkill, but when working on a van, I didn't want to have to pull the pump back out for a better cleaning. After installing, it ran fine.