A U-Haul story

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back in 1996 I worked for U-Haul. I was put into the repair area. The trucks went through the maintenance area then to the repair area for major repairs. Every 30K they got new belts and who knows what else. They cut the old V belts off. They then used a tool to roll the new belts onto the pullys.

The only used factory belts (That I saw). I wonder how many times those belts left to tight or loose? I do not recall any failures from this practice.

Has anyone ever seen the belt installation tool?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dumb timesaver
Definitely kills the p.m. Part of not losing a belt at 30k!

IIrc pensky owned all 3 rent a truck outfits...

But what was it 45-55k pensky moves the fleet to hertz after awhile the tattered truck goes to uhaul?!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a dumb timesaver
Definitely kills the p.m. Part of not losing a belt at 30k!

IIrc pensky owned all 3 rent a truck outfits...

But what was it 45-55k pensky moves the fleet to hertz after awhile the tattered truck goes to uhaul?!
When I was there in the 90's U-Haul was still running 70's dentside Ford trucks with an industrial 330 cuin FE engine and a 4 speed lol.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was there in the 90's U-Haul was still running 70's dentside Ford trucks with an industrial 330 cuin FE engine and a 4 speed lol.

Funny how the 70s trucks didn't seem that old in the 90s. And it wasn't unreasonable to rent something that had a manual trans.

Let's fastforward to today: I have a buddy with a 2005 snowmobile and he tells me that he can't buy a brand new CDI box because it's "obsolete/no longer available."

It's a crazy mixed up world we live in...….

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen the tool, JC Whitney might have it. I use a screwdriver if needed. That tool does not eliminate the need of adjustment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online