A reminder about hydraulic saftey

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Years ago i saw a guy loose a finger -the cause a pin hole in a hydraulic fitting (very high pressure) .

I am guilty as I seem to forget the real dangers of liquid under pressure,I have an old hose that needs changing on a peice of equipment now. At work we had sheetmetal gaurds between operators and hydraulics where-ever possible. Should I say used to work :dunno

This is graphic but a good idea to have a reminder of the reality of it all.

Hydraulic injury

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I too have seen someone get severely injured from high pressure hydraulics.

The wind turbines I worked on had some really nasty hoses, and one guy eventually lost his pinky finger from a pinhole...

Thanks for bringing this up!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch!

Yup, that's why I try and stay clear of all hoses when helping Dad move stuff with his old Michigan loader. No telling how old some of those hoses are.

Heath

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow Bill... For some reason I'm not really hungry any longer... Maybe all those fat farms should place this picture on the refrigeraters.:eek::angel: Years ago when I was working in the steam generating fields we would use a hytorq hydraulic tool that made an easy 10,000 lbs of hydraulic pressure very close to our hands. Handling those hoses was a frightening experiance. Never had one break but one of the heads did explode once... Suddenly there was oil everywhere. High pressure but low volume saved us from terrible injury I guess...:dunno No to go throw up some breakfast....:puke:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
that reminds me, I need to get a cover for the hose for my lift where it keeps getting driven over and I need to weld a cover over one of teh fittings that's exposed. I ended up driving over that sucker and breaking it off once, unpressurized thankfully.

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Oh geez, I just ate too. This kinda makes me worry about portapower systems..... Thanks for posting this, people don't realize how much pressure a basic hydraulic system actually has.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, one of our farmer-customers was loading rolled-hay and had a line to spring a leak.

This guy just clamped his thumb over the leak :eek: and finished loading the hay.

Later that night, he got sick --- very sick.

The hydraulic-fluid had penetrated into his blood-stream.

This guy layed in various hospitals for months and months.

I don't know all the medical particulars, but I remember they somehow ran his blood through a system of filters for days and days.

He finally got well enough to come home, but he will never be the same.

Ignorance can often get one killed. :angel:

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I worked for a few years with epuipment that ran 800 psi of compressed air pressure.That's scary,but made me think saftey!!!

stumpjumper3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Petroleum based injections are deffinately not something to turn your back at. If you work around it on a daily basis as i do, go to your local hospital ER and check to see if they staff anybody that has experience in treating high pressure injections. If they do not, you had better find a hospital that does, it is crucial that even within the first few hours to get it looked at ASAP. I've heard horror stories from the old timers at work who have had friends lose fingers and hands because of negligence. I often find myself working on our new C9 common rail engines, which have rail pressure up to 33,000 psi. We take safety very seriously at work.