A couple of questions after my engine and turbo install

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First: right now, I can only pull 6 lbs of boost no matter how hard I try, I top out at 900 on the Pyro. Now, I'm sure it will be different once I actually pull something with the truck, but is this normal? It's a non-wastegated Banks.
Second: how many turns on the fuel pump before it's cranked all the way in? I did the quarter turn that was recommended in the Bank's manual, but with the above results, I turned it up another quarter turn where it felt like that's all it was going to turn. So, for those keeping track, I turned it a total of 1/2 to a little more then 1/2 of a turn, can it go further or am I tapped out on this pump?
Third: I noticed my radiator fan was still spinning after I turned off the engine, is this a sign that the clutch is gone? I ask because the truck is running a little hotter then I remember. Now, I MAY have bent a good number of fins on the AC condenser and perhaps that's limiting air flow, but I thought I would ask.

Thanks for any help!

MoMo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do you still have the stock muffler on the thing? An old clogged ,muffler or restrictive one will limit how ,uch boost you will achieve

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To tell if your pump is maxed out just keep turning until it wont go anymore and then back it off a hair. Dont leave it all the way in otherwise pump damage will occur. How is your smoke level? I got the same prob with mine. I got a non gated banks kit and the most boost I can make is around 7 or 8 psi and thats with my up pipes wrapped and my pump maxed out. Im not seeing a whole lotta smoke and my egts max out at around 800. Im looking into getting a new pump and injectors. I think my pump is getting weak. My hypermax system on my previous truck would do 12 psi and I could easily reach 1200 on the pyro so I know these pumps can flow more than enough fuel for these turbo setups. I would try to turn your pump up a bit more or just max it out and see what happens. Your pump may be on the weak side or it was just turned down alot to begin with.

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you still have the stock muffler on the thing? An old clogged ,muffler or restrictive one will limit how ,uch boost you will achieve

Well, the muffler is there, but not hooked up to anything, the pipe from the turbo just dumps, I'm taking it Wednesday to get a 3 pipe straight pipe out the back.

MoMo

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To tell if your pump is maxed out just keep turning until it wont go anymore and then back it off a hair. Dont leave it all the way in otherwise pump damage will occur. How is your smoke level? I got the same prob with mine. I got a non gated banks kit and the most boost I can make is around 7 or 8 psi and thats with my up pipes wrapped and my pump maxed out. Im not seeing a whole lotta smoke and my egts max out at around 800. Im looking into getting a new pump and injectors. I think my pump is getting weak. My hypermax system on my previous truck would do 12 psi and I could easily reach 1200 on the pyro so I know these pumps can flow more than enough fuel for these turbo setups. I would try to turn your pump up a bit more or just max it out and see what happens. Your pump may be on the weak side or it was just turned down alot to begin with.

No smoke at all (another thing I was hoping for). I'll mess with the pump again Wednesday just to be sure, I just don't want to strip it. So, normally, they can turn more than 1/2 a turn?

MoMo

MoMo

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No smoke at all (another thing I was hoping for). I'll mess with the pump again Wednesday just to be sure, I just don't want to strip it. So, normally, they can turn more than 1/2 a turn?

MoMo

MoMo

Every pump is different, they are calibrated at the factory. I could only get a little over a quarter turn and mine was maxed out. On my previous truck I could get a full turn or more. Just turn it till it wont go anymore(it will be obvious) and back it off just a hair. Then let your foot control the egts.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Agreed. I tried it with my NA 7.3 and got a turn and a half out of it before it bottomed the delivery screw out...I ran it like that for about a week and I turned it back to 1.5 flats above factory.....WAY too much smoke with no turbo and I don't want to melt holes in anything that isn't supposed to have holes in them.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I would say thats a fuel issue. I can get 11 with my banks, and I dont know how because the pump and injectors have 200,000+ miles

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as much as I hate having to do more, I guess now would be a good time to swap my injector pump over to the engine I just installed, before I get to comfortable driving it. I'll take one more crack at turning this one up, but I'm pretty sure it's reached it's limit. May even see how much room I have to turn my pump before I go through the hassle.
Thanks for the info. Any thoughts on the fan clutch?

MoMo

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my fan clutch does it too mine never runs over 191 degrees, as long as it dont run hot dont worry about it

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I may have missed it, but how have you got your pump timed, or has it ever been timed?

smooth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, sorry I should have included the info, the new engine supposedly had 126k on it. Though I'm not sure mine will be any better. Unless the PO changed it, my old IP had 180k on it I think.

MoMo

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yes, sorry I should have included the info, the new engine supposedly had 126k on it. Though I'm not sure mine will be any better. Unless the PO changed it, my old IP had 180k on it I think.

MoMo

OK now we're getting somewhere If you have an engine that you put in with 126k on it and the pump is the factory original, then the thing is shot. At126k that pump would be on it's last legs and the poor thing is just putting out all it can and it's just begging to be sent in to Mel to be given some antlers :D, the other possibility is that the pump is not the original, and has been replaced, but has never been properly timed and is suffering from retardation which will not let you build boost.

Does the pump have original factory paint on it or other signs that would indicate it being original ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Staff online