A/C not working

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I get a new compressor? Is there different types? My truck is a 1993 F350 4x4 non turbo truck. Here are a couple photos of the set up.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm so country... I'm my own damn cousin.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Describe why you need a new compressor. They rarely go bad, unless they run completely out of oil. If only the clutch is bad, they are readily available. If the shaft seal is leaking, it's available also.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Describe why you need a new compressor. They rarely go bad, unless they run completely out of oil. If only the clutch is bad, they are readily available. If the shaft seal is leaking, it's available also.

My same questions. What is telling you the compressor is bad. I don't see and oil leaking out of it nor do I see a reason to replace it. Even the clutch appears fine. No rust build up on the front of it.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I thought I had replied to this, guess not. Oh well.
If the compressor is not locked up, you likely don't need a new one.
See if it has any pressure in the lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure I need a new one. A mechanic told me I did. Is there a way to test it? It might just need new seals.

tbiagent69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That compressor is pretty dirty and has a lot of moving internal parts. I've disassembled a couple of them before and it seems they used different types of seals for the pistons. Of the ones I took apart there were black ones and green ones (seals). The green ones seemed to hold up better and have a better seal with quieter operation.

With that said, throw some freon in the system and see if it works. See if it's noisy and what not.

I went through mine over and over again trying to get it to work right. Eventually the compressor seized the clutch broke apart somewhere on interstate 8 (never found it).

Do you own a manifold set? Have you run any pressure tests?

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I pumped her full of R134a. The clutch engaged and it blew cold for a few minutes. The compressor sounded like it was coming apart. I am ordering a new one and replacing the orifice tune. It's should fine after that.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you took a reasonable route in figuring out the problem. Here's the way I look at it, it pumps, blows cold, and rattles like an SOB when it locks up. Could be something internally wrong, I don't know. But since it's a serpentine setup, it's a lot easier to replace at home rather than on the side of the interstate. That's the ****** with that belt setup compared to multiple V-belts. With V-belts you can just go without something, and if the Serpentine goes you lose it all.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you also need the accumulator. should flush everything also. start fresh and clean. one piece of metal left in the system from the old compressor will doom the new one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Just a note about adding freon. Add only if you still have some pressure in the system. Don't add to an my system because its now full of air and moisture. It will not hold a charge very long and wastes freon. Vacuum it for about 1 hour. Let it rest for about 30 minutes. If the pressure or call it vacuum drops. then you have a leak someplace. find it and fix it. Don't use a stop leak. That kills the system but it will seal up a leak too. Stop leak is a bad idea no matter what. Always know how much freon is required. Overfilling an R134 system makes it not cool. R12 is easier to use. If you overfill that system you will see the return line freezing up going back to the compressor. Thats the low pressure side. Just remove some of the R12 till it stops freezing the line.

Fatography

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New compressor installed.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks fine. Now pull a vacuum and add freon. Did you change any other parts and was there freon that needed to be drained from the old system. If the old system was flat then you really should replace the dryer and orifice tube.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to rain on your parade but that looks like a rebuilt compressor and not new. we will no longer install rebuilts due to the complete lack of quality control the rebuilders have.

hopefully you got a good one and not one thats going to blow up in 2 weeks and contaminate the system again.