a/c fan upgrade

swuchase1

Reaction score
anyone have a good fan upgrade for the 1988 F250 my fan is really weak would like to get more air out of the vents i have cleaned all of it inside / outside just poor flow . my bronco is the same way its an 1988 also. any help would be COOL ... lol

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well sometimes the heater resister thats found in the heater duct burns out. then you get poor fan flow because the fan works on one level only. Can't recall what it was. some have installed fan motors from the big LTD cars for a better faster flow too. Again I don't recall what exact car it was from. Others will chime in with the facts. Have you looked at the ac condenser in the truck. I had a flow issue in my 79 chevy truck years ago. Opened it up and found lots of dog hair plugging up the core. We always took our daughters dog on vacation and he usually slept under the passenger feet where the ac suction is found under the dash. Cleaned it out and fixed it and the odd dog smell too.

swuchase1

Reaction score
Thanks i have cleaned all of those things pulled the heater core out pulled the fan out used hose to wash out dirt and caked muddy stuff no dog hair but there were some things in there i could not tell what it was thought about calling the CSI team over... lol. in the summer i pull out heater core so my A/C works better but cant get the air flow. i will check resister i wonder if i can change that out with a fuse link??? just wondering out loud. icanfixall thanks for you help as always

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You really need that resistor. And usually you'll end up on the high setting only when it goes out.

Is the door moving on the inside or is the air just being diffused as is?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want some cold a/c, you could also consider the heater core bypass valve as it definitely makes your air conditioning colder.

Kind of a funny thread topic: talking about a/c as most of the United States are in a deep freeze. Probably not that cold in La Mesa :D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually I never turn off my ac. Even in cold to us winter weather I run it but add some heat to make the cab comfortable. I like the dry air of the ac system. Also warm dry air defrosts windows better and faster than moist warm air. Might see if the air flowing thru the heater core is restricted by something you said was stuck in the core. Muddy stuff or whatever. If you change out the core please keep the old core. Seems members are experiencing common failures with the replacement cores more often. It used to be replace with only the factory part because the aftermarket cores were not very good. Now its all the cores seem to be of low quality now.

Bob F

Reaction score
I had a similar problem in by 90 F250. With the blower on high, you could barely detect some air flow. Turned out to be the A/C evaporator core was completely plugged with dirt and debris. Air goes through the evaporator first, then through the heater core on its way to the cab ducts. Replaced the evaporator and normal air flow was restored.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have 3 fan speeds, your resistor is just fine. Hi-- Med--Lo

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard of the crown vic motor upgrade too
I've been hearing about this for a while now, but no one has said anything about what model year range of Crown Vics will interchange. IIRC you can replace the squirrel cage as well as the motor itself; the squirrel cage is a bit wider, which means it'll move more air, but it'll still physically fit.

So, does anyone know what model years to look at? Also, are there any replacement brands that are worth the time, or is this really a dealer-only item? Be nice to get something that'll move more air at a higher velocity...I'm a penguin who needs his air conditioning!! ;Sweet

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took the one out of the 92 tbird sc i scraped and put it in my truck the fan cage was a little bigger and i swear its 2 times as hard air flow... form what i had.. i did have to cut the heater box sligtly with a razor blade..

my truck was a 88 also... the power plug fit, the air tube thing fit... just gotta make new holes! part came form a 1992 thunder bird 3.8 SC(dont think the sc matters)

I've been hearing about this for a while now, but no one has said anything about what model year range of Crown Vics will interchange. IIRC you can replace the squirrel cage as well as the motor itself; the squirrel cage is a bit wider, which means it'll move more air, but it'll still physically fit.

So, does anyone know what model years to look at? Also, are there any replacement brands that are worth the time, or is this really a dealer-only item? Be nice to get something that'll move more air at a higher velocity...I'm a penguin who needs his air conditioning!! ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle