A/C--FAN CONTROL SWITCH QUESTION

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In an attempt to track down why my blower switch makes my electronic tachometer go wild, I undertook to have a look at the fan-speed switch.

I removed two screws above the radio and a whole plastic panel eased out in my hands, to be layed aside.

Oh goodie, I can see the whole switch mechanism, held in place by four little screws, no problem.;Sweet

I remove the four screws.

I jack and twist and wiggle and no way is that switch panel going to come out that hole, where it would make sense for it to come out.:dunno

Some moron at Ford Motor Company, in all their wisdom, designed the switch-panel to screw in from the back, behind the plastic dash holder thingie.cookoo

Try as I might, I could not get that switch to work out that nice hole that common sense says it should.-cuss

I looked at the radio.

Maybe if I remove the radio, I can get the controls out that much bigger hole.:dunno

I take out the radio, and guess what---there is a big steel panel between the radio and the A/C controls, no way to get it up there.-cuss -cuss -cuss

Many many years ago, I had to replace the vacuum controlled part of that switch, but I can't remember exactly what I did.:confused:

Please tell me how on earth that the A/C control panel can be gotten out where I can examine, and possibly replace, the fan-speed switch.

All I managed to accomplish was to knock out my radio memory that takes about two hours to reprogram.-cuss :confused: -cuss

Thanks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I Just did this exact repair on my 90 Bronco. Remove the 4 torx screws retaining the climate control behind the bezel around the climate control / radio.

From there you will need to wiggle, pull, tug, twist, :puke: what ever it takes to get the climate control out. Mine was tight but I managed. I found it easiest to pull it part way out, then un-clip and detach the wires from the HEATER Blower switch.

You will need a 1/4" socket to remove the plug from the climate control assembly from the underside.

It was a PITA-cuss -cuss to do all this but I managed to get it out and my problem was a burnt switch and burnt connection on the wire assembly end. I had to remove the wired from the big piece of plastic (burnt by switch) and rewired the whole thing. I replaced one wire that was damaged by heat and now my Air and heater work real good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online