A/C Evaporator Removal

datkinsonsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like it should be an easy removal as the box around the evaporator on the firewall splits, but how do you remove the box to get to the evaporator? I am replacing all of the components and hoses. The variable orifice valve blew apart and went into the evaporator and I am unable to blow it out. Will not use that kind of orifice valve again! All components are factory original with R134 conversion. Also, how much oil needs to be added to system with all new components?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The passenger half comes off rather easily, but there is a hidden screw on the other side of the firewall that holds it in and it's hidden by the carpet... It's easy to find once you know where it is... And take the fan out too...

Before you split it, be sure you get some plumbers tape to seal the two halves back together (or the hot engine compartment air will get in and heat the a/c) and clear out all debris while you are in there...

I forgot how much PAG is required (10 oz, I just remembered) but use double end capped PAG 46, it will resist the acids formed from the inevitable moisture that will get in over time. You can get it at Car Quest auto parts, 815 EAST PEAR ST, LAKELAND, FL 33815 (863) 682-5146 and ask for CARQUEST PAG 46 Oil with UV Dye, 8 oz bottle Part # 484UV-CQ (2 needed, since 10 oz is needed...)

This has all of the dye you will ever need, so be sure to get straight R-134a, this way, you will be getting the most refrigerant out of each can. The cans of refrigerant is too damn expensive without diluting it with other stuff like dye and oils or sealer...DO NOT ever use sealer... Good luck... ;Sweet