99 Leakin oil

fordnut

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a newbie so please forgive me if this is elementry. I have a leak comming from the top rear of the motor. I have read some of the archives posted and want to look at the plugs on the back of the heads but I nead advice on cleaning the motor first. Degreaser and pressure wash ?? Stay away from certain areas of the motor? Leave it running? Its a 99 250 4x4 ext cab LBed w/ 89,000. Thanks.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats not a elementary question at all.... Unlike other sites, you can ask anything you want here without getting run out, or told use the search engine.

There are many guys here who can answer this more in depth, but I would use degreaser only where needed, I would not put it over the whole motor if not needed. I would not use a pressure washer, you could get water into things that should not have water in them. A hose with hot water would be my choice. Also, I would do this on a nice day, with the motor cold, and give it a chance to dry a little before starting, then run it for a while to dry it out.

GSD

Reaction score
My 01 F350 just started leaking oil, so I took it in, and they found a loose bolt by the HPOP. What a pain to get at, so I took it in and had Ford fix it.

Only $400

Why is it that my truck always seem to run so much better after getting it out of the shop!?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use some 409 or simple green, but do not let it set long. Simple green will PIT aluminum. Then, use a garden hose and a garden sprayer on FAN mode. NO DIRECT STREAMS.

Cover your powersteering pump with a plastic baggy. The cap has an air breather hole that can allow water in.

Once your done cleaning the engine (remember, gentle spraying) start it up and cook off as much water as you can so it doesnt have a chance to get into any connectors and cause corrosion.

Then begin your hunt for the leak. It could bu your turbo pedistal leaking, HPOP leaking, or just oil dripping from your intake tubes because of the crankcase vent setup allows engine mist to coat the intake.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
FF,

Clean up the oil and verify where the oil is coming from...

When my 99 began to leak I hunted everywhere... and the thing that sucked is that it would only leak when you got the RPM's and pressure up...

What I finally found on mine was that it was leaking from the HPOP...

I dropped the flashlight into the valley and the way it landed, it allowed me to see exactly what was happening... The bolt on the back of the HPOP just needed a little tightning...

Check those bolts first.. then check your hoses... They are a know leak source.

fordnut

Reaction score
Dieselmaster said:
FF,

Clean up the oil and verify where the oil is coming from...

When my 99 began to leak I hunted everywhere... and the thing that sucked is that it would only leak when you got the RPM's and pressure up...

What I finally found on mine was that it was leaking from the HPOP...

I dropped the flashlight into the valley and the way it landed, it allowed me to see exactly what was happening... The bolt on the back of the HPOP just needed a little tightning...

Check those bolts first.. then check your hoses... They are a know leak source.

Thanks to all of you.
But this sounds like my situation. Its not a consistant leak. After being on the highway it left a 4" puddle on our brand new driveway in about 3hrs time. So I pulled the inspection cover and the flyweel and crank were dry. So I cleaned every thing up w/ a rag and noticed it was coming from the top. Its been city driven the past couple of days and there is only a dime size drop. So I will check on all of these suggestions. Thanks again.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
i use purple power degreaser and then just hose it off (being carefull where i spray) after it has set for a minute or two... the stuff says it is ok to use on engines full strength... i do it every time i change the oil and my motor stays pretty clean, it requires no scrubbing and when i spray it down all the goo from my leaky boots comes right off

as for the leak i agree on the HPOP

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
ISurvivedNMU said:
Thats not a elementary question at all.... Unlike other sites, you can ask anything you want here without getting run out, or told use the search engine.

There are many guys here who can answer this more in depth, but I would use degreaser only where needed, I would not put it over the whole motor if not needed. I would not use a pressure washer, you could get water into things that should not have water in them. A hose with hot water would be my choice. Also, I would do this on a nice day, with the motor cold, and give it a chance to dry a little before starting, then run it for a while to dry it out.

That's good advice but when I had the leaking fuel pump last month, the shop forman at International used a hot water pressure washer to clean it (which at first freaked me out), but the truck started right up. I guess that with twenty years as a diesel wrench he knew what he was doing.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the hot steam or "steam jeannie" just blows the grease & oil right off. Works great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online