98 diesel suburban

marcocor

Reaction score
looking to buy this sub but I am totally new to diesel world so what do i need know about 6.5ltd before i get too far ahead of my self
it is a 98 2500 sub 4x4 w 95k miles it is in oregon and i am in vancouver canada so the more I know the better
thanks

bct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the fuel pressure at the drain valve to see if the lift pumps weak. Use that as a bargaining tool. Replace pump for $160 (thats dealership price) and be happy.

That and never expect it to be fast or front tires/balljoints or brakes to last very long on it. :)

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had that exact truck for sometime-- i highly highly recommend replacing the lift pump with a holley pump-it would have saved me alot of headache--i am convinced that 99.9 percent of all the lift pumps in circulation are lemons and they always go out - and sometimes you dont realize that they are dieing- i had one that didnt push enuff fuel and for the longest time i didnt realize their was a problem till my ip kicked the bucked cause of lack of lubrication(diesel) .........not a cheap fix!

if the price is right buy it, they are good trucks if the proper preperations are made. such as using a very reliable lift pump-i replaced 8 lift pumps in a matter of 6 months 7 were dudds and 1 was weak some were bought from gm and others form auto parts stores your luck with the stock 6.5 pump is usually not good
so let me say it again
if i was to buy another 6.5 the first thing i would do is put in a aftermarket liftpump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im convinced that if you put a good pmd cooler on it with a AFTERMARKET LIFT PUMP the 6.5 will last forever

cranknrods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That and never expect it to be fast or front tires/balljoints or brakes to last very long on it. :)[/QUOTE]

they lasted just fine for me-the tires and brakes actually lasted longer on the suburban then they do on my 07 dodge cummins