97 stroke valve train problems

Black dawg

Reaction score
Had loud popping out intake, traced problem to #1, pulled valve cover and found both pushrods badly bent.

I cant see the lifters really well with the head in place and there is this tin piece in the way also. is the tin the lifter retainer? It looks like the lifters are free to rotate, and I cannot see a heavy bolt on retainer like I was expecting to see.

any body have any pics of what this stuff should look like?

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ended up replacing 2 lifters 2 pushrods and the lifter retainer hold down. there was no sign of valve to piston contact, not sure what order these parts failed in.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had piston to valve contact in 6.0s before, and it always seems to bend the pushrod. I would assume that is what happened with you. The lifters may have seized, then held the valves open, and wham, bent pushrods. It is suprising they dont bend valves rather then the pushrods, you think they would be the weak link

sassyrel

Reaction score
Ended up replacing 2 lifters 2 pushrods and the lifter retainer hold down. there was no sign of valve to piston contact, not sure what order these parts failed in.

did you look at the top of the cam lobes???????????? when the lifter "forks" break,, NORMALLY will the lifters will turn 90degrees.........and THAT will eat the lobes......been there.......that metal..WILL get in the oil pressure relief valve.. so you will have some pressure cold,,and ZERO warm...............

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have had piston to valve contact in 6.0s before, and it always seems to bend the pushrod. I would assume that is what happened with you. The lifters may have seized, then held the valves open, and wham, bent pushrods. It is suprising they dont bend valves rather then the pushrods, you think they would be the weak link

It was weird though.... no sign of valve contact on piston, and this motor was heavily carboned up.

Black dawg

Reaction score
did you look at the top of the cam lobes???????????? when the lifter "forks" break,, NORMALLY will the lifters will turn 90degrees.........and THAT will eat the lobes......been there.......that metal..WILL get in the oil pressure relief valve.. so you will have some pressure cold,,and ZERO warm...............

cam lobes actually looked really good. I would have guessed that the cam was going to be pretty hammered, but there really was no sign of any damage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online