95 powerstroke in 88 cc

bbf604

Reaction score
i've been lookin for a 7.3 idi but i have a 95.how hard is it to put a 95 powerstroke in a 88 cc dually? it's in an ambulance chassis.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have your work cut out for you. The hard part is the electrical. If you have the complete donor PSD it's definitely doable, but it'll be a project. The nice thing is that all the Ford diesels use the same bellhousing and bolt pattern. What transmission does the 88 have? I'm guessing the PSD donor has an E4OD automatic since you said ambulance E350. Most stuff is common between the C6 3 speed auto and the E4OD, I think the torque converters are a little different, and of course you have a computer for the E4OD and just a VRV on the C6. I don't know if anyone has tried to mate a C6 to a PSD but man that would be interesting trying to get them to communicate. If you have the manual ZF5 then it would be easier, but then of course you need a clutch, pressure plate and flywheel for a diesel. I'm not sure if all the clutch stuff is common to the 87 and later IDIs and the PSD or not. If you just have a donor motor and not the whole vehicle it probably would be too hard.

bbf604

Reaction score
yeah mine has a c-6 and yes i have the complete chassis i looked under the hood of the e-350 and man their is alot of wiring.LOL but i think i'm going to try it. i'll put trans and all in it. does the 95 have a fuel pump in the tank? the only thing i don't know is would i have to put the fuel tanks out of the e-350 in the 88 f series.thanks i'm sure i'll have more question...eric

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
The 95-97 strokes have a lift pump in the center of the valley below and in front of the turbo. The 99-03 has an electric pump on the frame rail (come to think of it No ford diesel as of yet has an in tank pump)

Do yourself a favor and replace your valve cover gaskets, injector orings, injector cups, fuel lift pump, and reseal your fuel filter housing while the engine is out and accesable. You may want to do the oil cooler seals too but thats a toss up.

punk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
(come to think of it No ford diesel as of yet has an in tank pump)

sounds like something I would like to have anyway, and since I need to replace my sender in my front tank, I think I may be fabbing something up....

I'll let you know what happens there.....

edit: 5 minute call to my Holley distributor, anyone know how many GPH/LPH the lift pump is capable of? trying to figure something out without having to install a regulator......

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle