'94 Turbo 7.3L IDI oil pump inspection and specs needed.

Mike Linger

Reaction score
I've got my engine short block ready to put back together and want to make sure my engine oil pump is within spec before the oil pan goes back on.

Is there a way to check that the existing stock oil pump meets the minimum required volume/pressure?

Are there measurements I can take that may allow me to repair it (add/change out shims, etc.) if necessary. I'm not enthusiastic about spending a couple of hundred dollars for a new pump in an engine that is not going to see high performance use and is just used for occasional hauling and a daily driver.

thanks! ................Mike.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pump, unless it looks/feels like it was damaged, is going to be fine. They don't generally wear out, and the factory ones are better than new aftermarket anyway...

It pumps so much oil as it is that a little leakage isn't going to affect anything. Low oil pressure at idle is caused by a sticky relief valve in the oil cooler, not (generally) an oil pump issue.

That being said, 10 psi at hot idle is 'fine'.

Mike Linger

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the info. I looked at the one I have and it seems smooth turning, clean, and visually okay but if there was anything else I could do before burying it in the oil pan to ensure its health I definitely want to do that too. I checked to make sure my pressure relief valve is working already so I guess I'll run with it all as-is. thanks for the help. ................Mike.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, there are 2 valves in the rear oil cooler header. The dime sized plunger that supplies the engine with un-filtered oil in the event the filter clogs. This one is easy to see.
The other is the oil pressure regulator. This is the one that is critical in maintaining consistent oil pressure. If you have the header on the bench it is much easier to manipulate the valve opposed to having it on the truck.

Mike Linger

Reaction score
Okay, thanks. I guess that one is the one way down in the header and a bit harder to see. I'm not sure how you would test it other than maybe just make sure it's free. Right now I have it on the bench.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect. Yes, make sure it moves freely and you can apply some shop air to it to make sure it slides smoothly and closes all the way. If that hangs open you'll obviously lose most of your oil pressure.