'94 turbo 7.3 engine, maybe $750, Advice?

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Well, my truck has been making quite a racket, sounds like piston slap or a worn wrist pin. I have decided to start looking for a replacement. I found this engine, comes with all accesories including factory turbo. Has 194k miles. Owner didn't know about SCAs, but said the PO was a truck driver, so maybe he did. It has new starter and alt. and fairly recent glow plugs. I think I could get it for $750, he's asking $900 but sounded like he would come down. I can hear it run, but have to pull it.

If I get it I might have a turbo kit from a van that I got from Towcat and never installed for sale reasonably cheap.

Any suggestions?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure your current engine is shot? Maybe it's just a bad injector your hearing?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats a pretty decent price for a turbo IDI. Even if a piston or two has cavitaed, you still have the heads, the turbo rods, and another turbo. I say go for it ;Sweet, but thats just me.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Are you sure your current engine is shot? Maybe it's just a bad injector your hearing?

That's what I was thinking. Plus the first turbo-cal pump I got from DPS was bad and caused a terrible noise in the cylinders.

rip van sparky

Reaction score
I just put in a set of brand new BB's. The engine runs better and is quieter but it makes the knocking way more noticeable. That's what made me nervous all of a sudden. I have driven an aerostar for around 60k miles with a worn wrist pin with no problems, but I don't know how long I can get away with it in a diesel. It has been doing it ever since I put this engine in the truck, I pulled it back out after starting it the first time, mic'd and plastigauged the rod and main journals and they were all perfect, so I know it is not that. Then I thought that it might be fuel pound from a worn injector, now I don't think that is the case, so I guess the inj. pump is left, but this is the IP from the original engine and the knock was there with both IPs. I would like to put another used engine in so I can tear this one down before catastrophic destruction occurs and freshen it up, because with the cost of fuel I'll probably have this truck forever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online