94 idi,knock,misfire and blowby

BiodieselLuke

Reaction score
I picked up a 94 factory turbo 250 4x for a grand a few months ago. It has a ford rebuild on the trans and as far as I can tell, no love anywhere else. Straight body and whatnot, but the cooling system has been neglected although it has a new radiator. I took the cap off and the coolant was more pooh brown than anything else. I did a pressure check of the cooling system and it dropped from 18 to 17 pounds over about a half an hour. Has since been flushed and coolant replaced.
It has a loud knock at idle that sometimes goes away, however it seems to be more consistent now that it is cold out.
I have the chuffing sounds through the exhaust and a pretty good misfire when I first start it in the morning. The misfiring is accompanied by a bunch of light colored smoke, but only in puffs, coinciding with the misfiring cylinder. If I fire off the truck and immediately take off, putting a load on the engine, the smoke clears up right away. The glow plugs are all good except the 2 under the turbo which I have yet to test. If I take off the oil fill cap, at any temperature, I have a bit of blow-by on only the one cylinder, which one I do not know. i'm hoping that I have not cavitated, as the cooling system holds pressure pretty well.
Question: could a simple valve guide issue be leaking cylinder pressure into the crankcase and out the oil fill cap? I'm hoping to have some heads rebuilt off of a spare motor and change them out in a day. I don't want to spend the cash to rebuild the heads and find out I have bigger issues. If I have to rebuild the motor I might want to go ahead and put a cummins in although I really like the peppiness of this motor compared to the DI fords and dodges of my past.
PS, I know I need to do a leak down and/or compression test, but I just don't have the tools or money at this time for that.
Any help or insight is appreciated
Luke

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Bad valves. Pull the valve covers and You'll prolly see some soot around the offending valve/valves.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luke, put some info in your profile as to where your located. Maybe somebody can help you with that badly needed compression test. I would also pull all the injectors and have them pop tested.

BiodieselLuke

Reaction score
thanks, I will pull the valve covers and report back. I think there is a shop in town that will pop test these injectors so I'll let you know
Luke

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online