93 IDI Turbo Cranks But Will Not Start

Lug Nut

Reaction score
93 IDI Turbo cranks but will not start. Has new IP pump, lift pump, injectors, Fuel filter all within last 1500 miles. Drove truck 80 miles yesterday and ran fine, no issues. Parked truck last night, came out this morning and just cranks. Will just barley try to start every once in a while, while cranking but will not run at all. Both tanks are full of fuel. Tried switching to each tank but still will not start. Checked fuel filter, no water and fuel is clean in filter. Cracked injector line and fuel sprayed out when cranking. Ignition fuse was good. Air cleaner is clean with no obstructions. Can not find any air intrusion or fuel leaks anywhere the fuel system.

Any idea's or help on what to check next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rossroams

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can, post a video to show exhaust while it’s cranking. White smoke means fuel is getting to combustion chambers.

Lug Nut

Reaction score
I'll see if I can post a video tomorrow. Smoke looked to be greyish blue from the side mirror.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can post a video tomorrow. Smoke looked to be greyish blue from the side mirror.

If you get smoke while cranking you have fuel hAve you tried plugging the truck in for a bit see if that will help it start also make sure it's cranking fast enough and the glow plugs are working

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cranking speed is fairly important, if to slow flat will not start. Helps to put a clear return line to the filter to check for air, not all the time will you see a leak and still be getting air in.

Lug Nut

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Im going to plug the truck in and see what happens. The truck is cranking very fast as I have 2 AGM Odyssey batteries that put out 1750 CCA for the first initial 5 seconds of crank and then drop down to 950 CCA after that. Glow plugs were new within the last 15K but I noticed some unusual clicking out of the glow plug relay. The relay may be my problem but not 100% sure.

gandalf

Reaction score
Where did you buy all those new parts? You must remember that not all parts houses are equal. A "rebuilt" IP can fail in an unbelievably short time. The wrong, or rebuilt, glow plugs can fail after only a couple starts.

Believe the collective wisdom of the members here. Read the Hall of Shame, located in the Tech Article section. Part of the collective wisdom is which parts houses to avoid.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the temperature outside?

If it's lower than 45F, and you have some suspect noises from your GPR, I'd check your glow plugs (or plug in the block heater as has already been suggested).

I'm going 70% glow plug related, 20% air intrusion, 10% "field bet" on all other issues.

Please post the results so the future betting lines can be appropriately handicapped :D

Lug Nut

Reaction score
It appears to be the GPR. I can't hear the click in the GPR even if I cycle the key. Going to order new motorcraft GPR. Glow plugs are Motorcraft ZD9's, injectors were from Russ, etc. I use only Motorcraft parts or parts recommended on this website. Won't know if I have any other issues until I get it running. Plugged in block heater but noticed after it was plugged in for a few hours, one of the wires was broke going into the heater plug. Temps are well below 45 as I am in Colorado and at elevation of 8200 FT.

I do however have another question. If the "wait to start" light is turning on and off, can I assume that the control module for the GPR is probably still ok ? yes, I know what they say about assuming.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'll let someone else answer about the relay since that's a little bit outside my area of "expertise". I will say that if all else fails, you could buy another block heater and just use that cord. Just be sure to buy a good 1000 watt one like a Zero Start. There used to be (maybe still is) one out there that was a crappy 600 watts. It was sold with the name of Kats. That's just not good enough to get these trucks started when it's really cold. If you do go this route, I'd recommend making sure that the cord will plug into your block heater before you bother trying to snake the new cord through the routing of the original one.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You're welcome. Just here to help and learn. If you were closer, I may have a cord that I'd give to you, but since you're at 8200 feet, you not very close to me in northwest Kansas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7